6G72 into Starion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

6G72 into Starion

Post by MrBishi »

I think there was one floating around Aus at one stage (may have flipped at a race??) and definetly one in the US that I have seen pics of.

What are some of the problem areas that will cause dramas when converting to RWD? Gearbox, turbos and manifolds (inlet & exhaust) all custom units to suit so ignore these for now. Is there sufficient room to leave the steering box in place or need to replace with a custom rack?

Does anyone know anything about the Aussie one?

In a similar vein if given the choice - 6G72 DOHC (3L) or 6G74 SOHC (3.5L) both twin turbo? Unfortunately 3.5L DOHC engines are uber-rare.

The US one had a rack conversion which looks less than ideal, but I am unsure if this was done for space or steering improvement.

Same car showing the custom crossmember and rack conversion. Note whack angles and change from trailing to leading steering links.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Bangbus
[P] Plater austaz

Post by Bangbus »

You could use the mounts and gearbox from a 3L V6 l200?
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

with the amount of strengthening you would have to put in it im not sure it woudl be worth the effort, but depends on how much someone is gonna charge to convert a supra box (usual weapon of choice)
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

CussCuss wrote:with the amount of strengthening you would have to put in it im not sure it woudl be worth the effort, but depends on how much someone is gonna charge to convert a supra box (usual weapon of choice)
Strengthening with regard to what exactly?

V160/161 supra box would be a pain to do due to integral bellhousing (+overpriced to buggery). My choice would probably be a T56.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Anthony, a former workshop that I used to go to converted one into a Sigma (which has a similar engine bay to a Starion and they had to modify/make a custom engine (and gearbox) mounts. It did clear the Sigma box and wasn't as difficult as it seemed. Custom manifolds and turbos plus plumbing etc. They used a two speed 'glide as it was for drag racing. Adapting a manual box (supra or T56) using the manual bellhousing (off a Triton, I think) could be possible.

Incar Phil is doing this conversion, so hopefully he can chime in with some more detailed info.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

MrBishi wrote:
CussCuss wrote:with the amount of strengthening you would have to put in it im not sure it woudl be worth the effort, but depends on how much someone is gonna charge to convert a supra box (usual weapon of choice)
Strengthening with regard to what exactly?

V160/161 supra box would be a pain to do due to integral bellhousing (+overpriced to buggery). My choice would probably be a T56.
the l200 gearbox, somehow i dont think it will cope very well with the amount of power that thing will be putting out.
6spds and t56's are worth an absolute shiteload, i was thinking the turbo 5spd would be the best option as it doesnt have the bellhousing issue and isnt quite as expensive.
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Post by DD Phil »

After much thinking I went for a Getrag 6sp from a Supra twin turbo.

We're going custom everthing including rack, suspension, diff etc.

My white JA has been bleeding me dry at present (try $18k on brakes/suspension :(), hopefully I'll make some more progess on the V6 soon.

Phil
Purple JA, full cage, 6G72TT, collecting dust
White JA, 19x10s, GT30, Alcons, DMS, Crower 2.4, Hypertune intake, M800.....
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Just a note, look at the geometery on the steering rack installed in the supplied pics, it's already on a uphill slant at normal ride height, as the suspension moves up further the BUMP steer that would be introduced would be rediculas!!!! :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

18k?

sure hope the labour wasnt half of that :S
1983 JA Staz
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Post by DD Phil »

Chryzla wrote:18k?

sure hope the labour wasnt half of that :S
Tell me about it............. labour was around $6000.

But this includes every part of the drive train being replaced, all bushes, joints, bearings, steering parts, brakes, diff, you name it.

It also includes adjustable strut tops, Drummond Motorsports coil overs, 340mm floating discs and 4 pot Alcons.

I just hope it's worth it. :)

Phil
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Next question - anyone got any contacts for a 2nd Gen 3000GT engine? Don't want computer, loom or turbos - just long motor.
Alternatively a non-turbo mivec 3L V6?

Phil - a word of warning about the Supra getrag - new parts for it are apparently extremely hard to find. Toyota Japan & Aus don't want to know you, nor do Getrag in Germany. A friend of a friend could not find new synchros anywhere, and had to resort to buying another 2nd hand box.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Post by DD Phil »

MrBishi wrote:Next question - anyone got any contacts for a 2nd Gen 3000GT engine? Don't want computer, loom or turbos - just long motor.
Alternatively a non-turbo mivec 3L V6?

Phil - a word of warning about the Supra getrag - new parts for it are apparently extremely hard to find. Toyota Japan & Aus don't want to know you, nor do Getrag in Germany. A friend of a friend could not find new synchros anywhere, and had to resort to buying another 2nd hand box.
There are options now, very popular box in the US.

Phil
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

why not put in the 6G74?

all that effort and have a sub standard engine? that would suck.
1983 JA Staz
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Post by DD Phil »

Chryzla wrote:why not put in the 6G74?

It doesn't come twin turbo does it?

Phil
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Chryzla wrote:why not put in the 6G74?

Please explain your statement.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T