Steering precision

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Boris
[L] Plates

Steering precision

Post by Boris »

Hi everyone!
Way back in 1994 when I sold my :( HR Premier '86S 4 speed... ( :? before your time?) and bought my Starion, I was amazed by the Starion's quiet sophistocation, however these days in comparison to the new Commodores and Falcons I drive at work, I find the lack of precision of the Starion's recirculating ball steering to be among its' worst features. Are there any recognised modifications to improve the steering precision?
Are there any later model Mitsubishis with rack and pinion that provide an easy swap?
It is not to bad on a winding road, but a few hours on the freeway get to be hard work just keeping it straight in comparison to newer cars.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
Boris
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Nope, we're screwed.

But, there is an adjustment screw. It controls return to centre vs steering play. So I'm guessing if you are willing to lose a little return-to-centre, you could gain a bit more of that precision.

Also the boxes seem to get worse with age, so perhaps a rebuild will solve this. I say this because my first Starion (133,500km) had no noticable play in the steering at all, it was fine, but the new one (235,000Km) its more noticable.

Both are just ideas, as I am yet to try these out. Should pick up my car again tomorrow, and depending on how bad the problem is will determine the importance of trying to fix it.

Also scum was working on the rack'n pinnion setup for the Starion, but I dont think it was 100% completed. We haven't found a single bolt in rack setup yet because there is no room for a rear mounted rack, the rack needs to be mounted in-front of the axle to clear the engine (so I am told).
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Boris
[L] Plates

Post by Boris »

Thanks for the reply Spidersweb.
Sounds like fine tune and put up with it is the only plan.
Cheers
Boris
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

i have no problems with wondering whatsoever, the whole system (box and pump) has been completely rebuilt tho, but i do run a fair bit of castor and aggressive tyres so i think the issue is with the box being old.
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by SOWTZ »

Isn’t there things called steering spacers? It’s just a thick metal disk with holes in it, goes on the steering rack somewhere, its meant to eliminate play altogether, mate of mine made a few sets for his and others S13’s, works a treat move the wheel at all and the car turns, not sure if the same sort of thing can be used for a Staz.
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

SOWTZ wrote:Isn’t there things called steering spacers? It’s just a thick metal disk with holes in it, goes on the steering rack somewhere, its meant to eliminate play altogether, mate of mine made a few sets for his and others S13’s, works a treat move the wheel at all and the car turns, not sure if the same sort of thing can be used for a Staz.
Starion's dont have a rack though :(
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

Boris, check for play in the coupling from the steering column to the steering box.
this is often overlooked, and is a bastard to get at.
worth checking though (needs 2 people to check!)
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

yegh, the pintara rack, but i DONT HAVE THE TIME CAPTIN!!
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

remember that most of the time its everything else in the steering thats the problem. most commonly overlooked

tie rod ends, ball joints, idle control arm, main arm.

all of it contribrutes.

replace all of that and you will be amazed there will be almost no freeplay.
1983 JA Staz
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Chryzla wrote: replace all of that and you will be amazed there will be almost no freeplay.
And no money in your wallet.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

and engineering a rack and pinion setup would be so much cheaper?
1983 JA Staz
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I never said anything about engineering anything :? Just that it would be expensive.

Personally I'd just get the steering box reco'd and replace all the bushes.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

fyi, box reco at coltspeed was approx $400 around 1.5 years ago.
Boris
[L] Plates

Coupling

Post by Boris »

Thanks for the tip Merlin.
I checked the coupling and it looks OK, but as you say very hard to see!
Cheers
Boris
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Lower outer ball joints, centre track rod ball joints, inner rod ball joints, idler arm bushes.

Replace all these and the steering will be considerably tighter.