Boost Cut

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
LxS
I love starions

Boost Cut

Post by LxS »

Just a quick question, whats the starion stock boost cut set too?

I recently put a dual stage boost controller on the car and it keeps boost cutting if i give it WOT.
We set it to 14psi but it really doesnt like.. Whats everyone else running?
8 2 ' M i t s u b i s h i S t a r i o n W i d e b o d y
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Boost cut is just below 14 psi (well mine is anyway)
Trial and error, wind it back a little until it doesn't do it. It will change night to day as well (that whole cold air thing)
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Standard Starion boost cut is when injector duty cycle reaches 80%. So the actual boost at where you experience boost cut can vary from car to car. Generally anywhere between 12 and 14 psi.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

mine cuts at 16psi :D
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

I fiddled around with mine, well just removed the cut, and mucked around with timing, gaps, and airflow. It would boost quickly too 1.1bar, and hold strong till 7000
Ford G6ET 458wkws
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

how did you remove the boost cut?

ive heard if you cut the yellow wire in the MAP sensor harness it goes away, but i have a sneaking suspicion this may fuck up alot of other things aswell.
Rev
I like starions

Post by Rev »

ive heard if you cut the yellow wire in the MAP sensor harness it goes away, but i have a sneaking suspicion this may fuck up alot of other things aswell
I've read about this working for Cordia's, but haven't read about any Starions that have used this method.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

My 83 starion has been butchered at some stage, that yellow wire has been cut, then reconnected with spade connectors, for easy removal again i suppose. I really should test it someday, but im to chicken.
flappa
Lancer is the answer

yellow wire

Post by flappa »

I'm actually really suprised this "cut the yellow wire" thing hasn't been brought up more often!! Seriously though, it's very risky and it doesn't take a whole lot of time to ventilate a piston or two, especially since the ecu has no real boost measurement once the yellow wire is cut.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Before i went to aftermarket ECU, if i disconected the boost sensor ( unpluged it) boost level was what ever you wanted to dial up, but standerd fuel isn't enough to support any more than 16-18PSI, if you used a rising rate fuel reg you may be able to run 20-24psi, but your turbo wont like it long, and any more than 16-18psi you need a IC, at 16-18psi boost temp is 160-190 deg depends on how good your turbo is, ambient temp 23deg, knock control comes on and you loose what you just ganed. 8)

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Steve
Dorifto!

Post by Steve »

you will get no factory boost gauge with the boost sensor dis-conned.
The car runs exactly the same, just no cut.
our last starion, no IC, ran 25psi stock tc06, kept making power up to this level. granted, did not have a huge amount of power for the amount of stress everything was under.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I'll have to try this when i have a new engine sitting on the garage floor waiting to go in. (thats never by the way... :))
someone

The original JA cuts at 50%

Post by someone »

The original JA cuts at 50% injector cycle. Once this is reached, the
circuit turns both injectors off.

It's not a boost cut, in that it's a feature of the ECU.

25psi sounds a bit high. I can't imagine the stock ECU being able to
supply enough fuel to the engine to be useful at that level of boost.

Regards
David
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Why does it cut at only 50% do you know? does it run the injectors alternatly or something, so at 50% there is always fuel being sprayed in there?
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Gentlemen, has any one got access to the CMOS live data when running?, No? how does any one know 50% or 80% duty cycle before fuel cut ? lets stop the rubbish, give good sound advise, this is a web site for starion lovers, unfortunally not to many people know about this car and information, please could we stick to fact , I have tried my previous thread and i and three others know it works. 8)

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.