sigma turbo/starion exhaust manifold

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MrBtchy
[P] Plates

sigma turbo/starion exhaust manifold

Post by MrBtchy »

I'm currently looking at buying a FWD sigma turbo for it's engine. I drive an old GTO so i would be converting it to RWD. A friend of mine has a starion engine(i don't know what model) sitting in his garage and i noticed that the turbo sits quite forward compared to the turbo on my friends RWD sigma turbo.

My question is...when i replace the exhaust manifold with a RWD one is there any difference between the starion and sigma manifolds? Because in the interest of not having to massage my clutch cable/adjustment i need the turbo to sit further forward than the RWD sigma manifold allows.

cheers
Shirwan.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I think your Username should be changed to something more approriate as to not confuse us guys :wtf:

But with regards to your question, the Sigma Turbo manifold runs a t3 or t3/4 or t4 flange, compared to the 7cm^2 round hole in the Starion doesn't it ?

Can you post a pic of the Sigma also to help us figure out what we can, as it will certainly be different to ours since your in NZ............
MrBtchy
[P] Plates

Post by MrBtchy »

i'll try to get some pics this week.
why is the username confusing?
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

manifolds

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

the sigma one is most likely a low mount one.. as most fwd turbo cars are...
meaning the turbo sits below the manifold..
the starion is a highmourt, meaning it sits above the manifold...
u could probably use the sigma one as long as the exhaust wheel faces the firewall once its on a rwd motor
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

The reason the username is confusing is due to the fact there is a tuning shop in Sydney, NSW named coltspeed that tunes mitsubishis (obviously on here known for its starion tuning)
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
MrBtchy
[P] Plates

Re: manifolds

Post by MrBtchy »

JD_Stazza_Brendan wrote:the sigma one is most likely a low mount one.. as most fwd turbo cars are...
meaning the turbo sits below the manifold..
the starion is a highmourt, meaning it sits above the manifold...
u could probably use the sigma one as long as the exhaust wheel faces the firewall once its on a rwd motor
thats all good! will the starion manifold bolt up to the sigma head?
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

depends

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

check the bolt patterns, if they are both single cam 4g63's then they probably will bolt up
MrBtchy
[P] Plates

Post by MrBtchy »

thanks for that, the info is much appreciated.
I'm sorry for the confusion over my user name, i didn't know there was such a place. The user name is taken from a car club in japan dedicated to my make of vehicle. If some one could tell me how to change it, i will.

thanks again
Shirwan.
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

Since when did the sigma's come as a fwd. Is this a completely different vehicle to the one's in aus. Some details about this sigma would be great, for example engine codes, year, no of doors etc
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

woops wrote:Since when did the sigma's come as a fwd. Is this a completely different vehicle to the one's in aus. Some details about this sigma would be great, for example engine codes, year, no of doors etc
The early Australian Magna is a widened FWD Sigma platform. The Magna is unique to Mitsubishi Australia. Everywhere else had FWD Sigma's including NZ.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

People don't confuse the Aus-only sigma turbo with those from around the world. They are completely different animals. If you ever see sigma mentioned by a NZ member please remember that they are talking about a different car.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Ok I'm going to clear this up a little, seeing as I own a FWD Sigma.

The FWD Sigma, or the E15A Galant as it's known in Japan is the 5th generation Galant, which switched to the FWD format in 1983. This superceeded the RWD Sigma (ie your GK, GN whatever came last). Your 85 to 91 Magna was based on the FWD E15A Sigma, but widened 3 inches to allow the 4G54 to fit, and to compete with the Falcon and Commonwhores. In NZ they called the E15A a Sigma, even though it's truely a Galant. They started in 1983 with the GW and ended with the GZ which is what I have. The E33A series of Galant (ie, the 6th gen from 1987 to 1992) was based on the E15A too.

Before the E15A, there was the RWD Sigma, which had a Turbo variant. Pretty much had the same 4G63 SOHC 8 valve ECI Turbo the Starion did. This RWD Sigma Turbo made its debut in Japan in 1980. There was even a RWD Turbo Sapporo (what the aussie Scopion was based on).

Our NZ market is heavily based on the JDM market - it's your aussie market which is quite different to the rest of the world. For instance you guys never got half the models. Your 'colt' was still in production until 1990. They were out in Japan in 1978, and ended in 1983.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Oh and coltspeed has a 70's Galant Colt GTO. The motor he is interested in is out of a FWD E15A Sigma/Galant/Eterna. The exhaust manifold he was looking at on his mates Sigma was from a RWD Turbo Sigma with the 4G63.

and woops, The FWD E15A Sigma/Galant/Eterna is essentially what your TM, TP Magna was based on. It looks similar to a Magna but not as wide. Comes with a variety of engines from a 1.6L 4G32 SOHC carby to a 4G63 SOHC 12 valve intercooled Sirius DASH 3x2 motor, as found in the Starion - but boasting a boost increase to 14psi factory, and put out around 200hp.

Here's a pic of a nana-spec FWD Sigma as found in NZ. This particular one is an '86 GY model with the SOHC 4G63 carby motor. The JDM equivalent had 4G63 MPI motors.

dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Here's some pics of a E15A Eterna HT Galant.

http://ab.cordiapower.com/images/eterna/index.htm

You can see it has a more slanty nose, and a funky rear light setup. Note the bootlid where the middle but meets the bumper. Very E33A Galant like. This model also has pillarless doors.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Hehe that's my car :D
Seeing as I'm already posting off topic here I might as well give you guys an update on the Cordia DASH conversion. The engine has been pulled out and tidyed up a little, but is still waiting on having the timing belt replaced as I can't get the damn flex plate off. The wiring loom and ECU have been pulled out too, as has the intercooler which is suprisingly big. The plan is to have the DASH engine in and running by the 3rd of July, but we'll see how things go.

Just measured the intercooler core, it is 420x200x70mm. How does that compare to the VR4 one?
Last edited by AB on Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.