Does starions have a hall effect sensor?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
galagaza
Dorifto!

Does starions have a hall effect sensor?

Post by galagaza »

Im researhing for my megasquirt setup here, but my car is currently in a garage 50km away, so I just woundered what fuel\ignition trigger it has..

I think I saw a hall effect sensor in there when I changed the distributor cover, but im not 100% shure....

thanks
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: Does starions have a hall effect sensor?

Post by mrb1 »

galagaza wrote:Im researhing for my megasquirt setup here, but my car is currently in a garage 50km away, so I just woundered what fuel\ignition trigger it has..

I think I saw a hall effect sensor in there when I changed the distributor cover, but im not 100% shure....

thanks
Stock Starion distributor has reluctor trigger. The locked (no advance weights) L300/Galant one that people use for ECU conversion has optical trigger. Generally an ECU that will work with Hall effect will work with optical.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

what mrb1 said, and, the trigger disk in the optical dizzys can be swapped or altered as required to suite different ecus.
you need to be sure of the trigger signal polarity however.
this will generally require checking with an oscilloscope.
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

Is this the same as a "Variable Reluctor"??

I just recieved a mail from top end, they said that the 2.6 engine has a hall effect sensor with integrated ignitor, I thought the injection systems where pretty much the same? Or is the reluctor trigger the ignitor from the hall effect sensor?

What output signals will I get with the reluctor trigger?
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

galagaza wrote:Is this the same as a "Variable Reluctor"??

I just recieved a mail from top end, they said that the 2.6 engine has a hall effect sensor with integrated ignitor, I thought the injection systems where pretty much the same? Or is the reluctor trigger the ignitor from the hall effect sensor?

Well that's BS as far as I am concerned. The ignitor is not integrated for a start it's the big black thing on the inner guard.

Trigger can be:
1) Hall Effect
2) Optical
3) reluctor (variable reluctor - same thing, may also be called magnetic pickup)

Ignitor is the thing that is triggered by the ECU or directly from the trigger that switches the coil current. In some cases this is just a big transistor or in the case of the Starion it's a smart box with it's own knock sensor circuit.

Are you going to run fuel only or fuel and ignition with the Megasquirt?
avandulls_gal
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandulls_gal »

Did you make the megasquirt computer yourself? We have a friend who is running a megasquirt computer that he built in his Celica. He's using fuel and ignition control.
SEND PICS FOR AUSTARION CALENDAR TO: austarion.calendar(at)gmail.com

(replace (at) with @, just avoiding spam)

WIFE: noun: 1) pit-crew at race days 2) emergency pick up and tow service 3) shoulder to cry on after VERY unsuccessful race days
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

mrb1 wrote:
galagaza wrote:Is this the same as a "Variable Reluctor"??

Well that's BS as far as I am concerned. The ignitor is not integrated for a start it's the big black thing on the inner guard.

Trigger can be:
1) Hall Effect
2) Optical
3) reluctor (variable reluctor - same thing, may also be called magnetic pickup)

Ignitor is the thing that is triggered by the ECU or directly from the trigger that switches the coil current. In some cases this is just a big transistor or in the case of the Starion it's a smart box with it's own knock sensor circuit.

Are you going to run fuel only or fuel and ignition with the Megasquirt?

I never learned the english word for it, but I think the reluctor is a sensor that works like this: It has two wires to power the magnetic field and a third signal wire. ie its used on the Volvo 740.

If this makes sence then the Starion has an excelent sensor.

I am thinking too use MS for both fuel and ignition. I have not yet decided if im going too start with fuel only and run the stock ignition or if im going too jump right in with both fuel and ignition.

Avandus, I am building it myselfe, Im ordering a kit from glens garage next week. The L300 manifold will be used at first wit 4 600cc injectors.

The T3 will be replaced for the larger T3\T4 hybrid with headers too for moore top end power.

I was thinking a bit moore aggressive camshaft and ~22PSI pressure. This should give me moore then 300BHP.
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

Normally 2 wire sensors are magnetic and 3 wire sensors are hall
effect.
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

Yes, I was totaly wrong here, hehe..

I know what the reluctor sensor is now:)