Back on the road again!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
BLOFLY
I like starions

Back on the road again!

Post by BLOFLY »

Hi out there Just got my starion on the road and it is running great. Just have a few electrical questions.

1) curious though about a plug that branches off just back from the airflow meter connector outside the airbox. In is a white wire that has a h/duty plastic insulator over it and is fairly long (30cm.app), but I cannot find where it is supposed to connect to. I have a susspicion that it connects to the factory plumback BOV mounted on the turbo. Does anyone know?

2)When I dissasembled the BOV I noticed there is a switch inside the top cap that is normally closed and opens when the bov vents. I am assuming this switch signals the ecu or a lamp or something?

3)The idle microswitch was wound back and was not being triggered with the throttle closed. Moved it so it was triggered but didn't notice any difference. What does this switch do?

4) Where does the wiring branch from for the no oil pressure warning switch on the oil pump? as it is not connected and there seems to be no loose plug nearby.

Thats about it, thanks.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Just to put you right, starions didn't come with plumb pack BOV's
BLOFLY
I like starions

It's there

Post by BLOFLY »

Mine did, maybe not standard but it's got one on there. It's a TC05 12A mitsu turbo, assumed it wasn't original but thought someone may have seen one like this before.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

there's a connector near the air box, but I think it's the fuel pump test connector, you short it out and it turns on the fuel pump..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

TD05 wrote:there's a connector near the air box, but I think it's the fuel pump test connector, you short it out and it turns on the fuel pump..
...that's only on the US Starions. On RHD Starions, the fuel pump test connector is near the igniter. On JA series 1, it's a two-wire connector, on series 2 it's a single wire. Either way, you apply 12V to the black wire with a white stripe to turn on the fuel pump.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

I thought the one near the ignitor was the ECI self diagnostic terminal... :?
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
JPC
almost postwhore

Re: Back on the road again!

Post by JPC »

BLOFLY wrote:
1) curious though about a plug that branches off just back from the airflow meter connector outside the airbox. In is a white wire that has a h/duty plastic insulator over it and is fairly long (30cm.app), but I cannot find where it is supposed to connect to. I have a susspicion that it connects to the factory plumback BOV mounted on the turbo. Does anyone know?
On a standard beast there is no branching connector. The connector to the stock AFM has four connections: Power, AFM signal, AFM ground, Air Temp Sensor output.

Chances are the branching wire was used to connect with something that buggerised around with the AFM signal. Can you do a continuity test between the extra white wire and the stock connector, at the AFM signal wire (which is black with a white stripe, or white with a black stripe - can't remember which). If you can't do that, is it possible to see which wire it is spliced into?
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )