Powerchip

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
nashstyle
I've been here before

Powerchip

Post by nashstyle »

Anyone got a Powerchip? Found this on www.fueltronics.com.au
Not a bad upgrade if it actually works :shock:
Products

Your Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Leaded Turbo uses an ECU which has an embedded processor. This means that your car does not use a chip or EPROM that can be modified. However, performance can be improved with the Powerchip Powerboard that plugs directly into a connector on your existing computer. Installation takes about 1 hour and can be performed by any Powerchip Authorised fitting center. We have authorized fitters in most areas. Please enquire at the time of order for the closest location to you.

In standard form, the Starion 2.0 Leaded Turbo produces 125 kW and 245 Nm.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to between 140 kW and 147 kW, and it's torque to between 271 Nm and 286 Nm.

The price of the Powerchips for your car ranges from AUD $290.40 to AUD $489.50.

In order for us to provide specific power and pricing information, we need you to provide a few more important details so we can recommend the best solution for you. To provide these details, and receive a datasheet for your car, please complete our registration process.
I liek to flutter.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I have one on my V8. Makes a difference. Would make more difference if I did the exhaust etc....
nashstyle
I've been here before

Post by nashstyle »

Al: Does it just solder into the ECU somewhere or is a a full ECU?
I liek to flutter.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Mine was just replacing the chip. I daresay starion is a solder in job hence an hour for a chip place to do it.
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

On a starion or cordia i wouldnt bother with this, as your only changing the fuel settings. You will find the biggest improvement in replacing and tuning the ignition system.

Same deal with the S-AFC and e-Manage, dont bother.

With Al's V8, the chip changes the fuel and ignition settings, giving him a noticable result.

Just buy a fuel and ignition ecu. I recommend Wolf3d v4 for street use.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

It's a waste of money. You won't notice any difference and you'll use more fuel.
nashstyle
I've been here before

Post by nashstyle »

Use MORE fuel :?
Isn't the chip designed to lean the mix off to allow more power?
I liek to flutter.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

nash...think about what you just said. How is leaning off a fuel mix going to produce more power?
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Cookiemonster wrote:It's a waste of money. You won't notice any difference and you'll use more fuel.
That's exactly right :roll:
fil
I've been here before

Post by fil »

If your thinking of any chip for anycar make sure you ask if the chip is going to be tuned to your car on a Dyno. If its simply a plug and play chip it will do no good and could be worse for your car.
(Source 21st century performance)
Think how the hell do they know how much to change it by ?
290-$400; you could deffently get a mega squirt for that price and for a few more hundred you could pick up a used aftermaket computer.
Starions: The wedge with the edge !
nashstyle
I've been here before

Post by nashstyle »

fr335tyl3r wrote:nash...think about what you just said. How is leaning off a fuel mix going to produce more power?
Well thats exactly what you do with an aftermarket ECU isnt it? You certainly dont richen the mixture. rofl
I liek to flutter.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

nashstyle wrote:
fr335tyl3r wrote:nash...think about what you just said. How is leaning off a fuel mix going to produce more power?
Well thats exactly what you do with an aftermarket ECU isnt it? You certainly dont richen the mixture. rofl
Ever heard of people increasing their injector size as power grows? What does this tell you?
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Ding ding...mr bishi gets a medal :)

How is power produced in a car? A combination of compressed air and fuel igniting. Taking away fuel and leaning it out would have the potential to decrease the energy created would it not?
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

nashstyle wrote:
Well, you adjust the ECU to obtain specific air/fuel ratios. In some cases you may richen the mixture. In other cases you may lean it out.

You certainly can't plug in a chip and say "right.. there's your new fuel mixtures, extra power here we come" without getting the car on a dyno and seeing what the fuel mixtures are actually doing.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

You only would use more fuel if you needed it, for instance if you turned up the boost. Manufacturers make the car run a little richer than it should thus ensuring a safe working environment..so in actual fact you will gain a little more power 'leaning off the mixture' or bringing it to where it should be for a given condition. This does not mean making it 'actually' lean...just fine tuning. As far as the chip goes its a plug and play chip inside the ecu..remove the old, put in the new. I have one in the dash with a TC06/T3 turbo and without this chip the car is noticably slower and hits the fuel cut, although for some reason, with the chip in, it is a bitch to start sometimes so mabey i need to play with the tuning a little. I havent done much with it but when my dash buzzed past 7000rpm and was still boosting hard i thought this was worth the $200 i paid for it. You are all welcome to come and have a test drive. (this DOESNT mean burnouts at flavs expense!).