Engine starts ok, but won't keep running

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
JPC
almost postwhore

Engine starts ok, but won't keep running

Post by JPC »

Beast #2 now has it's first problem since getting back on the road. I was driving home from work the other day, and the engine cut out. Buggered if I could get it running again. The engine will start and run fine for a few seconds, then start running rough and stall. I can keep it running (after a fashion) by feathering the accelerator

I'm pretty sure it's not any of: injectors, coil, dizzy, igniter, AFM, fuel pump, HT leads, spark plugs, ECU, fuel pressure reg, battery, alternator - I've either checked that things are within spec or swapped 'em out with known good ones out of Beast #1.

As far as I can tell, I have spark and fuel; spray pattern from injectors looks fine; TPS appears ok; fuel pump and fuel filter are <6 months old; no air/vac leaks that I can detect.

I'm fast running out of sensible things to try - any ideas?
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Have you tried running it on that 'gas in a can' stuff which you spray into the tbi intake, would layout if there were any fuel pump/line problems, unless you are dead certain
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

This could be a lot of things. But something easy to check for, make sure the cam timing is correct, might of skipped a tooth or five. Seems to be a popular topic this month.

You need compression, spark and fuel. If you've tested for spark, and fuel looks ok, compression is next, cam timing being out will mess up your compression without making a big twang noise when it happened.

When my Galant belt snapped, I didnt hear anything, just saw the rev guage drop to 0. So slipping must be a pretty silent.

Anyway thats just an idea for the pile. It could be a lot of things.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

Yep , I've had that one before. Can of contact cleaner and a toothbrush on EVERY connector under your bonnet. It'll do wonders , no BS.

:beer
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

not running

Post by Starion VR4 »

Just check 2 C if your sensing line to your boost gauge unit on the firewall above the brake booster hasn't come off? Had the same trouble a little while ago with my sons New Staz..... :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
starion007
Big Dorifto

Post by starion007 »

Check out your knock sensor .This happened to a mate of mine and it was the problem.

cheers
THE QUEST , THE SEARCH
THE NEED FOR SPEED !!!!!
jakobsladderz
Mine is bigger than yours

loose or broken TPS or Idle mix screw?

Post by jakobsladderz »

my car sometimes does this.. Apparently my cam timings out but it normally runs. Every now and then it cuts out.. It seems to be remedied by and made to happen by moving the wire into the throttle pos sensor or the idle mix screw (don't know exectly which cos they're kind of close together and move at the same time) I'll get around to sorting them one day (maybe removing them and swapping in a decent intake system)...
just an idea...

duncan
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

My first thought is AFM, but if you're confident that's not it, then like everyone else says, it could be a multitude of things and i really can't offer any useful advice.

Having said that, the spares department here is always open to you John, so just give me a buzz and come over and grab what you need...
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

not the AFM, the car should run without it, check the temp sensor connector, check all plugs, sounds electrical, btw mine did that once when the PCV valve hose had a crack in it ....
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

mine ran like absolute crap without the airflow meter. You could start it but it wouldn't stay started unless you kept the revs up. It went really fast too, but was a real pain to drive.

But like I said before it could be a multitude of things...