headlights

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
logik
I love starions

headlights

Post by logik »

hey guys,

ever since i bought my car the left light has refused to come back down. from memory the car had both lights down when i bought it, but when i
tested out the lights only one came back down and the other stuck.

the owner and i discovered only one of the relays was actually working, so i thought nothing of it. i moved the working relay to the other socket
in an attempt to bring it back down, but this doesnt work.

yesterday i pulled the whole relay harness (is that what it is called? its next to the battery) and covered all the connector terminals in contact cleaner.
i also cleaned the terminals where the relays sit.

i then got a multimeter, set it to logik mode :) and tested all the relay terminals and they all came through properly on the main connector with no
resistance.

put it all back together and the fucker STILL doesnt go down.

what have i done wrong :(

logik
gordonspec® racing
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

Check the switch on the dash , it's a dual pole , dual throw switch.
:beer
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

My starion must be the only one with the left console buttons missing, but the right ones are still there :wtf:

The lights up/down switch is controlled by three wires hooked up to a 3 pin switch.

Tried unplugging and moving wires about, no good...

The relay for the right is ticking, but the one for left isnt. As previously mentioned ive tried swapping em...
gordonspec® racing
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

I had a similar problem - I got a can of contact cleaner and sprayed all the crap out of the plugs that connect the lights to the main harness (underneath the headlight). Fixed the problem 100%.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

I'll second hcca, Same problem and same solution.

Make sure that when the two connectors are pushed home properly and flip your headlights up (switch on the left) before considering playing with dem wires.

That motor when it starts, moves really fast and will mince whatever happens to be in the way of it at the time...
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

according to the diag, both relays are in parallel, so if one works the other should also, check that ur gettin 12 v or so on the left relay when the butt is pressed, it sounds like a wiring prob, or a dead motor..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

nah tried swapping relays as well, they both work. i cleaned the connectors from the motor to the wiring harness, still no change. but strangely enough both before and after i cleaned them, if i manually twist the lhs light (the nonmoving one) down, the motor will spin into action as soon as i have lowered it 2cm or so, it will fully close and open up again on its own.

this definately rules out the motor, i am just at a loss to what is wrong. i cannot find the second connector the previous posts are talking about, i can only find one big bunch of wires that go to the motor, the other wires in there are indicators.

help :(

logik
gordonspec® racing
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

If the motor moves when adjusted by hand, it's almost certainly a wiring problem. If it's only one light, check the wiring connector directly underneath the light - switch the light on and then off (so it stays up). Then try wiggling the connector and see if the light comes down. If it does, i'd say you've found your problem. It's most likely to be there because the lighting circuit only splits after the relay box.