brake master cylinder issues (EX lancer)

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

brake master cylinder issues (EX lancer)

Post by rxtoy »

i bought a starion brake master cylinder yesterday for my EX lancer. went to install it today and it won't fit. the size difference is quite a bit and my clutch master cylinder only has 1-2 cm between it and the old brake master so it doesn't look good.

i don't know too much about brake master cylinder's but i'm wondering how much of the starion one i can swap into the internals of my lancer one (its a drum rear brake one and i'm running discs all round so its not exactly the flashest one in the world).

pictures:

size difference:

and the old one in place:

any help/info appreciated,

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
limau
Big Dorifto

Post by limau »

try using galant A161 brake master cylinder,will fit perfectly in lancer A174/5
isnowi
[P] Plates

Post by isnowi »

is it perhaps possible to swap master cylinders only? ie leave the std brake booster in place actuating the (im geussing) bigger bore starion master cylinder.. It just means you'll have a bit heavier pedal than you would with the starion booster..
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

isnowi: thats pretty much what i'm doing at the moment. i've had to slot the bolt holes on the starion master cylinder and i've mounted the stock lancer brake booster on the firewall upside down (the pipe inlet for the vacuum line gets in the way of the brake fluid reservoir otherwise) which fits after a little work with a die grinder :D , i've got to drill another hole in my brake pedal but thats tomorrows job.

limau: cheers for the info (and on the lancer register), i'll try and find one but i'd pretty much finished doing the setup above when i read your post. might be interesting to see how much difference there is between the lancer and galant booster's in feel so i'll probably give it a try if i can find one.

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D