other engine management

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
quest
I love starions

other engine management

Post by quest »

from the old bbs I recall microtech and wolf being among the more popular for these mpfi conversions, with a motec or two thrown in.

what about others
-Stinger
inexpensive ?
-Link;
seen this name come up quite often with other make car forums. Their plug n' play seem like a great idea that has been around along time. AEM in the US is gobbling up the market with a similiar offering. The have universal units too.
-Hawk (recomended by a list member to us/magna conversions).
Seem to be working very well for the guys that bought them and tune it themselves, but does anyone here run this system

Any thoughts on these systems....
like features / cost / reliability / user friendly etc..
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

The Haltech is generally easy to tune with the bar graph software. The Starion is a bit unusual in that the ECU does not control the ignition timing so you can use a "fuel only ECU" if you want to. The ignition system on the Starion also has a knock sensor built into the system. However if you get an optical distributor and choose a suitable ECU then you can control timing as well (having control of the timing is very handy in a turbo car). But you will then loose your knock sensing unless the ECU supports it. Most of the Australian aftermarket ECU's are ok these days. However ECU's offering more "load points" will generally give you better adjustabillty.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Aftremarket EMS

Post by WANTSOM »

I would suggest you have a good chat with mrb1. Mark is a ignition/ECU guru. Talk to him and you will VERY quickly find that out. He has a vast background in this subject, racing (Group E racing Starions, and has a very formidable Starion he uses for club racing etc. He knows the biz.

Also Merlin on this forum is just as capable and can most definitely steer you in the right direction. Both guys are helpful and no BS.

Cookie knows his stuff as well on Motec setups and ignition/injection mods.

Of the trade guys - depending on where you live - I think Ron at Coltspeed in Sydney is the best guy to talk to. He is a MOTEC dealer. Chris Collier in Melbourne is the southern equivalent of a Ron.

I run a Haltech E6A in the Track car and it is a very good, comprehensive system. To me MOTEC would the pick - lots of scope for mapping but also the most expensive.

That said everyone has their preferences and all report good results. Wolf and Microtech seem to be quite popular.

Talk to these guys one on one - you will learn heaps.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Greg
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.