HELP:!!! car vibrating like crazy

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Drift
[L] Plates

HELP:!!! car vibrating like crazy

Post by Drift »

I just bought a station and everytime i rev over 4500 the car starts to vibrate like crazy if feels like its gonna blow up.

Also the turbo which has recently been replaced and is working will not spool and is in at -5psi.

Ive been told they both caused by the same problem.

Has this happened to anyone?
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Hmm can you explain the vibration a bit more? Is it while the car is moving or stationary? Does the CAR vibrate or does the ENGINE vibrate? When you say it wont spool ur getting no boost at all?
StarionBoy
i need to paint my car!

Post by StarionBoy »

lol i agree, a little more detail.. rofl
when my car was vibrating all the time the tail shaft was rooted, not something that should be left too long, will cause more damage if it breaks fully..
although i have no idea if thats what ur problem is..
does it happen when ur driving or stopped?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Probably snapped the balance shaft belt.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

Rev the engine when you are not in gear (and not moving), if the gear stick shakes heaps its probably a balance shaft issue.

Are you sure the boost gauge is working correctly? maybe map sensor is stuffed.
Drift
[L] Plates

Post by Drift »

Yeah even in neutral the car still vibrates. When i say vibrates, the car is barely drivable over 4500 revs. It makes a huge kinda cracklying noise and shudders heaps.

Basically the turbo stays on -5 vaccuum the whole from 1000 revs to 6000. Yeah the car is very slow so i dont think its the guage.

Also the gear stick does vibrate quite a bit too.

Thanks a lot for your help. Is the balance or tail shaft expensive to fix?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

woah hang on

if there is a large power decrease, and no boost, its probably not the balance shaft. It sounds like you've rooted something pretty good.

Hopefully somebody more knowledgable can help with some ideas. The more information you can give the easier it will be to work out tho
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Sounds like the balance shaft belt has gone.

Other one sounds like the wastegate may be stuck open.

Seperate problems.
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

Drift wrote:Yeah even in neutral the car still vibrates. When i say vibrates, the car is barely drivable over 4500 revs. It makes a huge kinda cracklying noise and shudders heaps.

Basically the turbo stays on -5 vaccuum the whole from 1000 revs to 6000. Yeah the car is very slow so i dont think its the guage.

Also the gear stick does vibrate quite a bit too.

Thanks a lot for your help. Is the balance or tail shaft expensive to fix?
ok well now it is sounding different, if you had a balance shaft problem the car would drive fine, boost etc and still have power above 4500, but would just vibrate, same with the tail shaft.

Your boost gauge should still go to zero even if you had a wastegate issue or similar.

So its sounding more like it is mis-firing, especially if it is making strange noises.

I still think maybe a faulty map sensor (which signals the gauge).

When was it last serviced?

Where in melb are you?
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

This sounds a lot like a problem I had with my JA...
My car would basically drive ok, (not great), and if I tried to rev it over 4500rpm it would start to misfire, and behave like there was water in the dizzy. There was very little boost available at any rpm too.

The MAP sensor was stuffed, so I replaced it and it worked fine.

Let us know how you go...
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

turbo seized & balance shaft out of alignment or belt broken
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

My one vibrates but aint that bad (they are taken out) over 4500rpm, if you cant even get to that i'd be worried
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

It's funny how everybody always goes for a difficult solution to a potentially easy problem. Check your ignition by pulling off one lead at a time while it's idling. If you don't notice a change , pick on that plug / lead. This is more common than u might think. Once you've done the easy checks , then go for the map sensor , it might be badly corroded inside (as I have seen many before) , which WILL cause the problem that you are having.
djalpha
I like starions

Post by djalpha »

check your engine and gearbox mounts. after some 20yrs they will split eventually.
DJALPHA
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:My one vibrates but aint that bad (they are taken out) over 4500rpm, if you cant even get to that i'd be worried
There is a difference between having two balance shafts removed, and having one functional and one with a snapped belt. Running a single balance shaft will cause a lot of vibration.

Also I think PowerSlave might be on a roll with his idea. I remember when I had very old leads/plugs my Starion didn't like >4500. But you can tell, as the vibration is caused by the engine misfiring - and thats pretty noticable. I originally thought balance belt because he didnt mention power loss.