85 Starion Narrow body, A183A = ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

85 Starion Narrow body, A183A = ?

Post by Junkers »

Hey I've recently got a starion and am wondering whether it is a JA JB or JD model, there is no indication on the RH strut bar and all i know is it's a A183A, does anybody know?

Cheers

*Signature removed by Mod.*
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

JA: bonnet scoop and vents, ECI throttle body, crappy driving lights at the front (not fog lights), 14" rims.........
JB - JD: Flat bonnet, 15" rims

It should have the build date on the plate... what is it?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I't rather vague, it's a new zealand model, new zealand new im not to sure? but the vin reads A183A-5002237, hope that helps? :shock:
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

nope it doesnt
do you have a digi camera?
take a photo of the front of your car and i'll be able to tell ya

if it looks like mine then its a JA
<-----
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I think from the VIN it is a 1983 JA model. But that could always be wrong.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I'm guessing it's a JA by the less sophisticated bumper and the vents
Image [/img]
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

It's a JA.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Cheers man
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

JA/JB/JD are all Aussie models - unlikely yours will be one of those. What does it say on the side of the car? GSR-I/II/III/IV/V/X? EX?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

It hasnt got anything written on the body and i doubt it's a nz new one as it has the shape of a early JA, most likely a jap import.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I'm pretty sure from the VIN that it is a JA 83 model. From the pic it looks like it also, just because it is in NZ doesn't mean it isn't Australian. My car is a Jap widebody, but you don't hear me saying it is a JD. or JB/JA
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

They didnt make JA's into 85 did they? Jap imports, Euro imports and NZ New models dont conform to the JA/JB/JD Aussie specifications. Since 90% of starions in NZ are Jap imports, i'd say thats what you've got. Differences are pretty minor tho. Problem with Jap imports, is even if you do sort our what trim level it was, there are so many different options that there really is no baseline. What you get is what you get with a Jap import.

Ahh, just noticed you from ChCh aswell, If your after an parts, or advice im always willing to talk starions :). Looks pretty tidy from the front, any more pics floating around?
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

If it has no stickers it's hard to tell. Is the speedo in KPH or MPH? Does it have a spoiler on the back (or marks where one once was?)
WidebodyWoody wrote:I'm pretty sure from the VIN that it is a JA 83 model. From the pic it looks like it also, just because it is in NZ doesn't mean it isn't Australian. My car is a Jap widebody, but you don't hear me saying it is a JD. or JB/JA
Hardly any cars in NZ are imported from Australia. It's cheaper to get them in from Japan because
a) Used cars are cheaper to buy in Japan
and
b) More cars are shipped from there so shipping is cheaper

You can't just say "from the VIN that it is a JA 83 model" - my 1982 GSR-X has a similar vin and the closest that car has been to Australia was passing by on the boat between Japan and NZ.

Just because a car has a bonnet scoop and no driving lights doesn't mean it's a JA. As ProZac said:
ProZac wrote:Jap imports, Euro imports and NZ New models dont conform to the JA/JB/JD Aussie specifications.
It's highly unlikely this car is a JA. It's probably a Jap import or NZ new, or possibly a euro import. It's more likely to be an early US model with the steering converted than a JA.

ProZac - I believe the NZ New starions were all Euro spec anyway (speedo in MPH etc) - thoughts?
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

My moneys on it being a jap import purely by the fact that the guards show evidence of having the funky jap spec wing mirrors on them.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

jrod82 wrote:ProZac - I believe the NZ New starions were all Euro spec anyway (speedo in MPH etc) - thoughts?
I agree, the only difference ive seen is that the euro imports have a little fin on the driver side windscreen wiper. Apparently its a euro only thing, for all that high speed driving they do, heh.
MrBishi wrote:My moneys on it being a jap import purely by the fact that the guards show evidence of having the funky jap spec wing mirrors on them.
Excellent point, I dont think those god awful things came on anything but jap models.