[how-to] Remove your door trims without breaking everything

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
JPC
almost postwhore

[how-to] Remove your door trims without breaking everything

Post by JPC »

Due to popular demand...no actually, just due to TD05's demand :wink:

A lot of people complain about breaking door trim clips, not being able to get the black moulding off, etc. It can be done without breaking stuff, but you need to do it the right way with the right tools.

Trim Tool - The Essential Item

First of all, don't even think about taking all the the door trims off until you get a trim tool. You NEED this. Ever since I bought one of these, I've never had a problem with breaking trim clips or getting them off.

The trim tool will let you remove trim clips with wild abandon, without breaking them. Here's a picture of mine, which cost about $10 at a local auto shop. This one is made by KC Pro-Am, part # 02008. This is a multipurpose trim tool, which does a million things (including lots of things that have nothing to do with cars).

In the pic above, you can see which part of the tool removes the door trim clips. I've also marked the part that will safely remove the scuff plate clips.

Here's how it's used for the upper and lower door trim clips:

As you can see, it's nice and flat and slips under the trims nicely.

Trim Clip & Screw Locations

The pic below shows the position of all the trim clips and screws which hold the door trims in place. Colour-coded too :)

Removing the Upper Trim

There's a few bits to get off before removing this trim, so here we go:

1. Undo the single screw securing the sash trim. Pull the sash trim upwards, and it'll pop off.

2. Remove the centre of the mirror adjustment knob by inserting a couple of jewellers screwdrivers or similar into the small slots on each side of the centre piece (below, pic 1). It'll come out easily. The next part looks tricky, but it isn't. If you try and pry the plastic lugs away from the spindle with screwdrivers or other stuff, you'll probably break 'em. Use a circlip (snap-ring) plier instead. Many circlip pliers have interchangeable heads that you can use for internal or external circlips. Use an external one, which opens the jaws when you squeeze the handles. Put the jaws of the circlip pliers in between the spindle and the plastic lug (below, pic 2) and aqueeze while pulling the knob gently. It'll come off easily. Remove the remaining knob (below, pic 3) and you'll be able to pry off the mirror trim piece (note the position of the clips for where to pry).

3. Pry up the small rectangular plastic surround on the upper trim which the seat belt goes through.

4. Using the trim tool, remove each of the clips holding the trim on - these are yellow ones in the location picture. Now the only thing holding the trim on is the black moulding at the top of the trim. This is a press fit. You'll need to hold the black moulding firmly while pulling the trim upwards and slightly out. Make sure the door glass is lowered and you're standing on the outside of the door. It will help if you can loosen/free the rear part of the moulding first (the part that curves upwards at the the back of the window). You'll need to pull slightly outwards at the bottom so that the trim clips that you've already released don't foul on the door (and possibly break). Remember that what you're trying to do here is "un-pressfit" the black moulding from the door.

5. Now it's finally off. Slide the seat belt out through the gap in the rear of the upper trim.

6. If you want to remove the black moulding from the upper trim, turn the trim over, and all the clips holding the moulding to the trim can now easily be seen. At first glance, these look like absolute bastards that'll snap the second you look at them. They're surprisingly easy - but you have to turn them 90 degrees first (see pic 1 and 2 below). Use pliers for this. They need to be aligned with the slot-shaped hole. Now just lever them up gently on each side and they'll pop off. Too easy! There are two of these clips on the rear curved bit that you may not need to rotate, as they're already in the correct position.

Removing the Lower Trim

This doesn't really need a guide, but since I'm here...

1. Unscrew the single screw holding the plastic bit on behind the inside door handle. Take it out.

2. Unscrew the 4 screws holding the armrest onto the door (3 underneath the armrest, 1 hiding behind a piece of plastic at the top of the armrest which you'll have to pry off).

3. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the door light lens onto the bulb holder housing. Take off the door light lens, pull the hosuing out a bit and manoevre it back through the hole in the trim.

4. Pry off all 9 trim clips using the trim tool. Most of these will pop off easily as soon as you get the trim tool anywhere near them. My guess is that the clips have been pre-conditioned to trim tools, and will jump out when one approaches to avoid being poked :)

Some Extra Notes

1. When removing trim clips, sometimes the door side of the clip will come off. Put it back into the door firmly before re-installing the trim.

2. You need a trim tool

3. When re-installing the trim, make sure the trim clips are aligned properly. Do one at a time, and give it a firm push until it clicks in positively.

4. You need a trim tool

5. If the waterproof plastic sheet covering the door has come away, stick it back! If it's damaged, replace it! For the black sticky stuff, I use Selley's D-Mastic.

6. You need a trim tool

7. When re-installing the upper trim, make sure it's aligned along the length of the window opening properly (ie trim clips are aligned between trim and door). If it isn't, it's a real bastard to move after you've engaged the black moulding with the door.

8. You need a trim tool

9. When replacing the lower trim, don't forget to grab the door light bulb housing!
Last edited by JPC on Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

'kin excellent. :beer
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

good guide jpc :)
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

awesome guide. very very useful.
:D
- el schmicko detailer -
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

JPC, that's actually very good, this should go straight to the pool room....

:beer :beer :beer

thanx..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

very well done..:)
---------
TVR T350C
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

excellent, excellent work!

TMZ, your avatars scare me, this one especially. I'm *fairly* certain thats someone's FINGER. Oh please let it be a finger.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Brilliant work, JPC

ProZac wrote:excellent, excellent work!

TMZ, your avatars scare me, this one especially. I'm *fairly* certain thats someone's FINGER. Oh please let it be a finger.
agreed, that one with the guy running and running and running for his life but never getting there freaked me out bad too, I used to stare at it for ages
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

whats that, a guide to undoing the door trim.

brilliant, brilliant.

mmmm guiness
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

just chucking these up the top til i work out how to make a workable tech navigation for the site
_

Post by StarionBoy »

a little to late for some :roll:
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

OK, i went and bought the thing and did what you said. the door came apart just fine but how do i get it back together? there is all this cardboard honeycomb kinda stuff that fell out and just left me with a wooden frame and 2 flat bits of chipboard with nails sticking out... pls reply soon as i cant lock the house up at the moment..... :?
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

scum wrote:OK, i went and bought the thing and did what you said. the door came apart just fine but how do i get it back together? there is all this cardboard honeycomb kinda stuff that fell out and just left me with a wooden frame and 2 flat bits of chipboard with nails sticking out... pls reply soon as i cant lock the house up at the moment..... :?

lol, wher do you live? il come round and loot you, i mean, help you with your door :D
oz, here i come....
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

scum wrote:OK, i went and bought the thing and did what you said. the door came apart just fine but how do i get it back together? there is all this cardboard honeycomb kinda stuff that fell out and just left me with a wooden frame and 2 flat bits of chipboard with nails sticking out... pls reply soon as i cant lock the house up at the moment..... :?
Ok, here's the emergency procedure:

1. Grab a FBH (freakin' big hammer) and a few nails
2. Go into your backyard and unbolt the bonnet from one of your Starions(not the black beast!)
3. Align the bonnet with the door frame
4. Nail the bonnet onto the door frame

Problem now solved (temporarily, until you get a replacement door) :D
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

StarionBoy wrote:a little to late for some :roll:
Yeah, after a few audio installs, my lower trim kinda just hangs there. Flaps about when you open the door. Ill fix it when it comes time :)