hybrid t3/4

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
strion
I've been here before

hybrid t3/4

Post by strion »

hello guys...has anyone used a hybrid t3/4, bigger than standard smaller than t4....wouldnt that be the ideal size...???
what im gettin to is has anyone used one???
cheers
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

A few guys on the Aussie VR4 forums tried these out.
Worked well on DOHC heads (especially if ported).

Im not 100% sure, but I know Id be a bit nervous about putting your average t3/t4 hyrbid on a SOHC head.

Friend of mine bought rather large one for his GTiR - SR20DET for drag - but changed his mind and traded it in on a twin turbo setup (*shrug*) and never installed it. It was huge.

Best bet is to get the flow maps, and see if you can find a suitable trim for your application.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
strion
I've been here before

Post by strion »

you see i was thinking about a t28 and was told by a few people that its a good turbo but the t3/4 its something different....i think i might go out there and do it....and then let everyone know how it goes...rip a few vl's and shuv it in my mates face... :twisted:
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Hey Jawad,

A friend of mine with a vr4 had this combo on his vr4 and then traded up to a t28 style turbo (hks though) his thoughts were the t3/t4 made less useable power and that it didn't match the car (even though it's a twincam)
the 2835r though had much greater response and better top end. considering he set the australian record for a vr4 i'd say your best bet is to stick with a t28 over a t3/t4 combo if the prices are similar. That's been my experience since now my brother has the same combo and we go out hunting modded gtrs and sti's :twisted: hehe.
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Modded GTR's? They must have bad drivers :D
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

:D heheheh maybe they were gtst's with gtr badges ;). Actually this combo cut an 11.7 at eastern creek on our vr4 makes me wonder how hard it would go in the staz :twisted: thats with cams though.

twincam + hks 2835r + staz = :drool:
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

gotta be carefull when choosing t3/t4, u can miss badly if spec'd wrong.
I'd choose a 0.48 turbine housing/ standard (stage1) t3 turbine wheel/ to4B compressor housing with S-trim wheel. A proven solid performer with good torque/ street response
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

4g6beat wrote::D heheheh maybe they were gtst's with gtr badges ;). Actually this combo cut an 11.7 at eastern creek on our vr4 makes me wonder how hard it would go in the staz :twisted: thats with cams though.
Probably rebadged GTS-t's :D

Is that the white VR4 that ran 11.72?

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Indeed :)

That was my mates setup we bought it off him as he's going larger now in search of better numbers. Theres not much Adrian doesn't know about vr4's hehe expect him to be back by the end of the year. That car was stock internally had a 2835r running 25 pounds and cams with a haltech, driveline was rally spec vr4 (4bolt close ratio) and that was how it drove daily. I've gotta say it's pretty hard to go past a 4g6 in terms of a 2 litre turbo for durability only an fj20 could hold a candle to it.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Nice work. Is that the Adrian from the Blacktown area with a quick VR4?

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Yep sure is, small world eh :)