Thoughts on using a Turbo from an R33 Skyline...

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Thoughts on using a Turbo from an R33 Skyline...

Post by TOMSUN »

I'm looking to make 210kw to 230kw at the wheels. :)

There is an RB25 Turbo from an R33 Skyline... for sale for $600 and I was wonding if anyone had put one on a 4G63 (8v or 16v)???

If so, how did it go?
If not, some comments/thought would be good....

Some background info...
http://members.iinet.net/~sayers/biscuits/turbos.htm

:beer
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

I have a R32 Skyline turbo on my car that came off a RB20.

It comes on boost very early and also dies off early. The other thing to remember is they have a ceramic exhaust wheel that tends to fall off if you run over 14psi consistantly.

A positive is that they have a T3 exhaust flange, this makes up-grades very easy :) . Another turbo with the T3 flange is the one off the VL Commodore. This will come on abit later but will pull hard thru the top end.

The R33 turbo is designed for a 2.5 ltr engine so i would say that it would pull a bit longer than mine.
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

yeah as barney said, limited to 14psi but it should have a nice punch to it. You will have to get and adaptor plate and new dump made up.
Im looking at a vg30 one soon ( steel wheel but not bb :( ).
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I've been told that a VG30 has a more potential for bigger power. Someone mentioned that the RB25 Compressor (bigger than the VG30)matched ith a VG30 exhaust wheel/housing (bigger than the RB25) could be a strong combination.
I'm not even sure if it is possible to mix and match like that???
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

well the vg30 would be a bigger turbo than an rb20 one i would guess and possibly the rb25 as its gotta feed a 3l motor, also just the fact that you can push atleats 6psi more out of it than you could a ceramic wheel turbo alone probably means its got more potential
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

SR20 Turbo (Silvia/200sx) might be OK. The advantage with using any Nissan turbo is that up-grades are easy. :)

I have been running the RB20 turbo for a while, but now im up-grading to the HKS GT2530 T3 flange. It will bolt straight on as i built the manifold to suit the T3 flange.
sillbeer
I like starions

How much was the manifold

Post by sillbeer »

Hey Ashly

How much was the manifold you had made up? I've been thinking of going the Nissan turbo route because there are just so many around, but the T25 option instead as per Silvia. Any ideas as to modifying the standard manifold to take the T25 turbo - any other problems you'd face with it. This would also relate closely to the turbo off an RB25 - just different flange I expect.

Cheers
Brendan

PS> Some closeup photos of your setup would be perfect.
1984 Galant (Sigma) Turbo (aka 4-door Starion) - *** NOW SOLD ***
http://www.ipixel.com.au/temp/84galantturbo/

Silvia Rebuild Project
http://www.sillbeer.com/
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

ok so would you all choose a T28 or a T25...i wont be doing the change soon (mayb in a month or so), just want recommendation

</hijack>
Barney
Scorpion King

Re: How much was the manifold

Post by Barney »

sillbeer wrote:Hey Ashly

How much was the manifold you had made up? I've been thinking of going the Nissan turbo route because there are just so many around, but the T25 option instead as per Silvia. Any ideas as to modifying the standard manifold to take the T25 turbo - any other problems you'd face with it. This would also relate closely to the turbo off an RB25 - just different flange I expect.

Cheers
Brendan

PS> Some closeup photos of your setup would be perfect.
Hi Brendan

A friend and I made the manifold. Steam pipe and a couple of flanges.

Im not sure what the offical name of my turbo is, It's off a RB20, R32 and it has Nissan written on it. I think it's called a T28`

I was talking to John (JPC) today, and he said there is a mob over east that makes adapter plates for the Starion to fit a Garrett flange. he is going to email me their name.

I can take photos, but my works firewall wont let me up -load them to a server :( Now would be a good time to take a photo as the Turbo is off
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

fr335tyl3r wrote:ok so would you all choose a T28 or a T25...i wont be doing the change soon (mayb in a month or so), just want recommendation

</hijack>
I will ask the Guy's at SST in Perth for their advise and come back to ya

ASHLY
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

I have a rb20 turbo also (for use on a toyota 1.6, not on the 2.0) and also been told it has t28 wheels. Performs decent on the rb20, especially if motor is swapped into an s13. Most of 'em are ballbearing, so it goes in the trash can when its done... at least around here. Normally we go for turbo donors off bigger displacement motors.

After watching results of many "garret GT this and HKS gt that" 25/28 series turbos put on 2L motors, I can say I'm not impressed at all. It doesn't live up to the hype, just costs alot more.

Next to the evoIII 16g, this is the best performing t28 I've seen;
http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merc ... y_Code=DSM
S13/sr20 *stock motor* dyno'd 325hp & 335 ft-lbs tq to the rear wheels. That *full weight* daily driven hatch ran 12.2s @12Xmph! with a crappy 2.X 60ft. Even on drag radials, the torque still spun 'em sending the car sideways during runs. Lotsa sr don't make that kinda torque.

Here's what the same turbo did on a mitsu 2L.. even has smaller housings than the sr t25. Look at the torque figure.... fantastic.
http://www.wincom.net/trog/car.html 348hp/376wtq at the wheels!

Unbeatable $600usd turbo. I'm having a sr t25 modded to same spec as the sr mentioned above. Plan is to make 2 manifolds, one for the 16g and other for the big28, and run both on a mpi sohc 4g63. I'm 'that' curious in a direct comparison, on the same car. Both are 11sec capable on dohc 2Ls.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I am pretty confident the EvoIII 16G will out-perform the t25 and t28 anyday of the week. As for the new Garret GT series and HKS stuff, stick with the T04s', millions of different combo's available to suit any particular engine and are rebuildable once necessary :P

EvoIII is rated at 550cfm @ 15psi. Many have datalogged these past 40/42 lbs of flow which is more like 20G characteristics :shock: Plus the TD06-19C is also rated at 550cfm @ 15psi but requires an external wastegate if I remember correctly.....
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

I would say that an EVOIII turbo will out perform a T25/28, but i could be wrong.

From what you guy's have said i have just wasted $1400 on a second hand HKS GT2530. But i can tell you that when i put the T28 and the HKS along side one another, the turbo wheels and housings are alot bigger.

With the T28 off the RB20 all i can get out of it is about 140kw at the wheels :( SST said this is all they are capable of even on the RB20 :?
With the HKS GT2530 on a RB20 they are getting upto 250kw at the wheels

ASHLY
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

you don't 'need' an external wastegate on a td06 19c. Depends on what turbine housing you're running too - evo or staz.
No mitsu turbo suffers from boost creep *worse* than the evoIII 16g, once you put a 3" exhaust on it. Proven by many folks who posted detail ways to port the wastegate passage.

If I thought, only for a second that the 16 would outperform *this* 28 hybrid, I wouldn't even go thru the exercise. I've never seen any evo16 dyno 375 ft-lbs tq to the wheels. The one dsm posted that ran 11s has to flatshift and run 26+ psi, the big28 dsm didn't and only ran 22psi - same weight car.

Many of the fastest dsms run turbos built by Forced because they know what they're doing. I wouldn't be surprised if they use 18g wheels in the 28 hybrid - why? they like the wheel and they are pretty secretive about specs.

I'm not saying the GTs are bad turbos, but just don't seem to deliver what they promised, especially at twice the price in a non-serviceable turbo. Lots of sr guys run 'em, with cams+ intake mani+ header. Yes, best results ~360-390 hp to the wheels, but.... the torque falls to ~300 ft-lbs and their ETs can't touch the big28 example I mentioned above. Torque is what presses u back hard in the seat and gets u down the road apparently? Many seem too hung up on posting big hp numbers.
If that sr20 had standalone/tuning it would have been deep into the 11s for sure.
I think you'll be happy with the hks gt regardless and thats what its all about, eh ? Since you have a t3 footprint, your wheels may very well suit the housings, as I believe the T2 framework is too small for the wheels they try to stuff inside them on the SRs. What happens is they respond no better than a well matched t3/t4 that costs half as much and rebuilds for ~$300.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Evo16G has boost creep issues due to bad exhaust set-up/design. With a proper twin dump pipe, I wouldn't expect any creep what so ever. About, torque, well with a well tuned camshaft and cam gear set-up, I'm positive 300+ is possible. Remember the turbo only makes 1/4 of the Engine. You have the FMIC, 2.0L or 2.3L to play with, Camshafts, cam gears, custom intake manifold, custom exhaust manifold, balance shafts off, head work, believe me 300+ torque and 400Hp is possible because nothing is impossible, maybe not the sensible thing to do :P but it doesn't mean it can't be done :D