G63B -> W55

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

G63B -> W55

Post by SpidersWeb »

Ok, I know there is a whole pile of gearbox threads at the moment, but I thought I'd create my own, instead of hijacking someone elses thread again :)

I figure now I have money, and we're on the topic, and my engine is out, I may as well swap the gearbox over, seems like something tricky Id like to get out of the way early on.

Ive seen the W55 going for as cheap as $200, so that is what I planned to use. Even if it has to be rebuilt.

1. What is involved in the changeover? Is it just a case of taking the bellhousing + gearbox in to an engineering company and saying make it fit? or is there more work that needs to be done?

2. Does the W5x Supra gearboxes happily attach to the Starion driveshaft? (as mine is brand new and wasnt cheap)

3. Will I require a custom gearbox mount, or is it basically a bolt on replacement in this regard?

4. Can I use the Starion speedo cable on this gearbox, or should I buy a new speedo, and use an electric sender to feed it?

5. I'm happy with the current gear ratios with the 3.9 diff, what ratio will I need on an LSD to keep this fairly similar? (for the very common W55 gearbox). e.g 3000rpm@100 in 5th

The goal here is to attach a W55 gearbox to preferrably the existing Starion bellhousing. If its necessary (thats another question), I can use the Supra bellhousing. Id prefer Starion, as its just one less drama to deal with I guess.

But yeah, just wanted to post for some answers so I know what I'm in for :) Thanks for reading :D
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

is the W55 the same as what's in an RA60?? If so, it's a very nice smooth box, but not especially strong..
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yeah they did.
Perhaps Ill go for the W58 then (just been reading Toyota forums, scary)
But same questions apply :D Hopefully the price different isn't too horrific.
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

ill se what i can do, none of these are cleancut, just what i think i know

1) apart from the other points, hopefully. Where will the shifter sit? will the trans tunnel be big enough? Will you need custom mounts? CMR or somone similar are pretty well known for doing these things (theres another shop whos name escapes me is really the 1st shop that should have come into my mind)

2) NFI, but chances are, no nothings ever simple, but i doubt joining 1/2 of each driveshaft together is to exxy, ask the guys to did you shaft.

3) NFI, look at it and see

4) again, the only way to find out is to figure out whats on the box

5) Wont be touching the LSD, the ratio you will need to look at is the 5th gear ratio, this will give you a possible revs increase/decrease.

My opinion, leave the starion box on it till it breaks, then think about it.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I figure I may as well do it now.

My Starion box is a fresh rebuild though. New bearings, bushes, seals etc, they even painted it :D so another idea might be to 'strengthen' the existing box. So Id love to hear about options in that respect if anyone has ideas. Already spent $1500 on it. 2nd gear syncro isn't happy though, and to get it in to Reverse you have to put it in 1st beforehand or it wont go in gear.

This is my year long project thing, goal is being around 300-350rwhp, I may not get that, but Id like to prepare for the possibility, since what I have planned would be capable. Im guessing my standard box would just die.

I guess if the Supra gearbox idea goes ahead, Ill pull the Staz box out, buy a W58, put them next to each other and work it out. But Im hoping someone on the forums has already put a Supra gearbox on the Starion block and can give me some info :D
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

absolutely, its always easyer when someones done it before you have, they know all the pitfalls etc.

Try posting on the US forums aswell
heefner
Newcomer

Post by heefner »

The W58 is suprisingly close to the staz gear box. US modle at least. the shifter is within a half inch and will mostlikely be dead nuts on once a plate is installed. Highth and Width is very simillar as well. A new mount will have to be made, drive shaft front yoke will have to modified. I have heard that the staz spedo will work in the toyota box but cannot confirm as of yet.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Speedo cable will just screw straight in. New tailshaft, gearbox x-member needed.

About 5 different shifter positions available so need to select one to suit best. My fuzzy memory says that the N/A JZA80 shifter was about the correct length to suit the staz.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

heefner wrote:I have heard that the staz spedo will work in the toyota box but cannot confirm as of yet.
an american saying "staz"! the word is spreading! mhwoahaha :twisted:
_