Thoughts/experiences on 2.4L bottom end

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Thoughts/experiences on 2.4L bottom end

Post by MrBishi »

I am toying with a few different options on how I should rebuild my engine. Ultimately I want more torque and power with better fuel economy but I'm not looking to set any dyno or speed records, as I have another car for that. At the moment the off boost performance of the 2L is annoying me, so I think extra capacity and higher comp ratio will help heaps.

The idea is to rebuild a 2.4L L300 short motor with stock rods and hypereutectic pistons, stick on the Starion head, MPI inlet, and stock exh man & turbo.

I this a good idea? Is there a weakness in the non turbo rods/crank? Same bellhousing size?
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Conrods are exactly the same as the 4G63 Rods, dimension and quality wise. Sonata Crankshaft is factory forged steel, unsure about L300 though....

Furthermore the 4G64 Block 'apparently' was made from the same casting as the 4G63 slightly modified, which explains why the Heads are interchangable........
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Hi there,

sorry to ask a dumb question but wouldn't a 2.4 have different length conrods since it's a 2.4 ? could someone please explain this to me as i don't exactly understand how conrod length translates to longer stroke as i assumed the 2.4 had the same bore as the 2.0 ltr.
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

4g6beat wrote:Hi there,

sorry to ask a dumb question but wouldn't a 2.4 have different length conrods since it's a 2.4 ? could someone please explain this to me as i don't exactly understand how conrod length translates to longer stroke as i assumed the 2.4 had the same bore as the 2.0 ltr.
The throw of the crank will be more if the bore size is the same. The piston's pin height will be higher (or the piston will be shorter) so the piston sits lower to compensate for the extra height they go up due to the longer crank throw.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

the 64 block is apparently a bit taller than the 63 block.
i would recomend using the 64 block if starting a new build.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Oh yeah, or the same pistons if the block is longer......... doh! :roll:
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

theres a few stories of the 2.4 with vr4 heads getting around. :drool:
_

Post by Chryzla »

once i get a starion the FIRST mod i will do is get a 2 litre or 2.4 and do the VR4 head/internals trick.

sounds like a good mod, can u use the VR4's ECU in the mod?
1983 JA Staz
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

more toruqe is always welcome. One way to find out how the 2.4 bottom end will fare as a sohc turbo motor.

there is tons of info on the dsm sites on 2.4 buildups, covering every little detail. Most popular route (done at rebuild time) is to use the 2.4 crank in the 2.0 block to get 2.3L... various combos of stock and/or aftermarket pistons and rods, reasonably priced to.

the vr4 is already pretty torquey. The 2.4L versions are puttin' down very solid performance. Quite a few street 10sec 3000+ pound pigs are running about the u.s. Seen one dyno ~540 ft-lbs torque to the wheels! Impressive for such a relatively small package
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

what about the 2.6 scorpion engine? does anyone know if its a fit? i have been in one of these with a T03 and 5lb boost, and farq me it was quick.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

flav wrote:what about the 2.6 scorpion engine? does anyone know if its a fit? i have been in one of these with a T03 and 5lb boost, and farq me it was quick.
I've seen a Staz with the 2.6 scorp engine - but no turbo, no injection (had a carby), and farq it was slow :(
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

well what a farqin knob head... why would u do that!! :roll:
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

rofl
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

hey, shhhhh