7M-GE in to a starion <Discarded. looking for a new turbi

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Ice Starion
I like starions more

7M-GE in to a starion <Discarded. looking for a new turbi

Post by Ice Starion »

ok i can get a engine with gearbox and everything for very litle money so i was thinking is this a good idea?

the engine is not a turbo engine but might be one in the future but as it is, it sould be making 200 horses with a compression of 9,4:1 so i would have to get lower comp. pistons to make it work well with a turbine or what?
Last edited by Ice Starion on Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birgir Örn

'87 Mitsubushi Starion
4G63 Polished & Ported Cylinder Head
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

A straight 6 is not a very easy engine to fit in a Starion. If the 7M is a similar length to the 2JZ, you will find it extremely difficult as it will take up the entire engine bay. For the power, i'd say it's not worth the effort or money.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

car would be "nose heavy"
u can put used 7mgte pistons in a 7mge... and boost 22psi

http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?b ... 1089343855
Ice Starion
I like starions more

Post by Ice Starion »

plus i can get all the parts i want from the supra the engine comes from
Birgir Örn

'87 Mitsubushi Starion
4G63 Polished & Ported Cylinder Head
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

A good conversion with the 7MGE is into an MA61 Supra as it will bolt up to the gearbox and its relatively painless to fit in. The MA61 was a direct competitor to the Starion in its day, so cars are similar in spec apart from the engine. The Supra wheels even looked like Widebody alloys! The stock 5ME MA61 Supra engine is junk however.

The 7M wasn't the best Toyota engine (and that's coming from someone that's a fan of Toyota twin cams). Too much work for not enough reward to fit the 7M into much else. I can understand using the 2JZ however, much more potential with a 2J :D
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

was it the 7m-gte that had all the head gasket problems?

I almost bought an MA-61 before i got the staz. they're a nice car, but just don't have the power or the handling to compete with the staz. They like to rust, too. Especially in the tailgate
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

7M-GE was a good engine, but 200hp? You can get that easily out of the factory 8 valve with a few fuel mods.

7M-GTE - I love this engine, however it has the bad habbit of warping heads (causing the head gasket to blow) - friend just forked out $1500 for a new head from Toyota, which will do the exact same thing eventually.

If you can't go 4G63, SR20 is the best bet from Nissan - real good engines. As much as I hate to say it, the SR20DET is probably the easiest and most rewarding engine transplant available. Will I do it? Hell no, Mitsi car = mitsi engine - no buts for me, but team pride aside - its a good swap.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Will

Post by Will »

7M-G(T)E is indeed the one with the head gasket problems. A common 'patch' is to increase the torque on the head bolts as it appears that its a head clamping problem that was designed in. Its not a bad engine, just nowhere near as good as 1JZ and 2JZ. However, the NA 7MGE MA70 Supra's in manual form are still pretty quick for such a heavy car, so in an MA61, it would be quite nice.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

the 7 is a darn good motor.... speaking from experience.
I dunno why you guys are seeing so many problems with 7Ms.
Headgasket is a ONE time fix; metal head gasket & ARPs. End of problems, now move on.
Warped head? Never seen it.

>>"just nowhere near as good as 1JZ and 2JZ"
for what purpose? surely you don't mean for a very fast street car.

>>"Too much work for not enough reward to fit the 7M into much else"
How much of a reward are you seeking, 1200hp ???
500hp to the wheels is no big deal to get from a 7mgte.
http://www.7mpower.com/trent_johnson.shtml
You can hit 4-450 with upgraded stock ct26 turbo = most popular 1st step. Lotsa street 5 & 600hp daily drivers running around the u.s., some over 700.

have a peek
http://www.7mpower.com/members.shtml
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumd ... forumid=13

here's a monster in your own back yard!
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php? ... msg_282815
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

We're saying it's not worth fitting to a Starion :)
Will

Post by Will »

I didn't say it was a bad motor - just if I had the choice of a 7M and then doing a metal head gasket, or a 1J and leaving it alone, I'd choose the 1J. I agree they are capable of making good power, and I don't dispute your claims. If I had a Supra that had a 7M, I wouldn't complain (In fact, I even shopped around for one). But wouldn't use a 7M over a 1J/2J if I had to re-engineer the engine mounting/gearbox to make either fit.

Didn't mean to offend.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

SpidersWeb wrote:If you can't go 4G63, SR20 is the best bet from Nissan - real good engines.
yeah, but try finding a sr20det and 5 speed... it seems all those aussies are snapping them up and theres not many coming into nz at the mo...

i keep getting told about how some guys were racing starions here in nz with oldsmobile V8s in them, anyone know anything about that?

the 7M motor, is that the 2.8? out of early to mid eighties celica/supra?
oz, here i come....
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

7M-GTE=3.0 straight six twin cam turbo
came in the mid-late 80's 3.0GT Supra's.

There was a Starion with a Ford 302 V8 that sold on trademe in NZ not long ago - ready for certification.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

my first post agrees with u guys 100%. That starquest club link does even moreso. Motor better off in an S13 or mk2 supra (my neighbour has one, fast car) ... inline 6 right at home with either.
We put a 7M in a older 83 rwd corolla. Later the owner found a cheap 1J and replaced the 7. The car was simply not as fast with the J, same tuning. The 7 was more brutal, broke more driveline parts and felt torquier. Biggest advantage of the 7 was the price. Started as a giveaway non turbo/w58... added used 7mgte pistons and went from there.
2J ? yeah, but I wouldn't give up a 7 for a 1J.

I just wanted to clear up the misinformation about the 7 needing a lot of effort to be reliable or make power. Many up to 600hp have stock internal parts other than the mhg.... no different than any of todays top street motors, eh.

I'm in no way offended lol
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

SpidersWeb wrote:7M-GTE=3.0 straight six twin cam turbo
came in the mid-late 80's 3.0GT Supra's.

There was a Starion with a Ford 302 V8 that sold on trademe in NZ not long ago - ready for certification.
oh real.... ford in a mitsi... now thats interesting, do you know if it was a windsor or a cleveland? how long ago on trademe?
oz, here i come....