Won't idle correctly

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
LeifGrouttzof
****WELCOME TO AUSTARION!****

Won't idle correctly

Post by LeifGrouttzof »

My GSR-V with a Sirius dash head has a weird problem I'm struggling to fix. When the engine is driving its fine but if I stop at traffic lights for example the engine won't idle it will be at 1200 rpm. If I quickly rev the engine up a bit and let it go it'll go back down to idle but not every time. I've checked the idle control stepper motor and I've also rebuilt the ECI which needed doing anyway. I'm also sure there isn't a vacuum leak. I was thinking maybe the airflow meter or the oxygen sensor but I'm not sure what readings I should have at them. Any help would be appreciated.
LeifGrouttzof

Post by LeifGrouttzof »

Yes that was the reason I cleaned the ECI unit out it was full of gunk, the throttle cable has no signs of being sticky and I have even tried extra spring on the throttle to make sure it was closing and it was still doing it that's why I'm sure it's a dodgy sensor or something.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Have you checked error codes?.......as per the cordia if the TBI is not set correctly you will have major troubles.
LeifGrouttzof

Post by LeifGrouttzof »

No I haven't but the engine light hasn't come on and it drives fine and I'm not sure how to.
LeifGrouttzof

Post by LeifGrouttzof »

So I've check the tps out and it seems to be working fine and I also tried to adjust it into the correct position as per a guide I found on another forum. http://www.cordiapower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2187 this didn't seem to do anything as the engine is still idling high at about 1100 rpm. Is this the correct procedure and is there any other sensors I should be checking?
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Tight throttle cable perhaps? You should be able to adjust the idle screw on the tb to lower the rpm. If it's doing it randomly as in your first post, the source would be the cable, if it's constantly above 1200 then you can just adjust it through the screw.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
LeifGrouttzof

Post by LeifGrouttzof »

It's intermittent. I disconnected the throttle cable and it was still idling high. Gave it a rev by hand and it came back down. How do I check for fault codes I can't find anything on the forum?
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
LeifGrouttzof

Post by LeifGrouttzof »

Thanks RiceThief I had found that but I can't find the self diagnosis check connector.

I found the plug to the idle speed control motor loose still inside of the plug. I believe this was causing my higher idle but when I plugged it back in the idle is even worse. Now it's higher at about 1500rpm and it jumps up to 2000rpm and then back down repeatitivly. I checked the motor it does work and I also checked the idle switch. The yellow/red wire has an earth on it but the motor position switch green/black wire doesn't have an earth. Is it supposed to at idle or maybe only at a certain position like cold start maybe? Or could something else be causing this hunting/jumping of the revs at idle.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

The diagnosis plug is on the drivers side engine bay on a cordia with a blank in it......there should be one behind the glovebox in the starion, It sounds to me like your coolant sensor has died and the ECU is not reading it, this will cause the idle to remain at above 1500rpm.

Take a pic of your engine bay and I'll have a look.
LeifGrouttzof

Post by LeifGrouttzof »

Thanks Bitza I had a look, there is a plug in my engine bay on the drivers side behind the heat shields for the turbo that is blanked with a red and a white wire to it. I am unable to post a pic at the moment as my internet is down and I am using my iPhone. But I don't think this is the right plug as the blanking plug has pins in with wires that have been cut. Also I have a diagram which is telling me the wires should be black/red and a black wire. I don't know if this is the right wiring diagram but it was right about the idle control motor wires. So I checked behind the glovebox and couldn't see anything.

I also checked the coolant temp sensor. It has about 4000 ohms at cold and 287 at temp so I don't think it is this.
LeifGrouttzof

Post by LeifGrouttzof »

Here is a the pics 1. Engine bay 2. Possible diagnosis plug

I am really stuck on this, any help would be appreciated
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

I'm not familiar with this engine/model but that looks like a solenoid plug? Does this engine not use a MAP, usually there would be one on the metal plate near that connector.

I think the diagnostic plugs are either by the battery or by the air filter, but I've also read about one behind the glovebox. I never found one by the glove box but did find a couple of odd connectors near the battery and air filter. One of those I was sure was the fuel pump test point.

As this doesn't seem to run a MAP sensor, do you have a wiring diagram for it?
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »