Electrical Problem with Ignition (Problem Solved)

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Not any more...I killed it.
Schultz
I like starions

Just an update

Post by Schultz »

Alright I have removed the starter motor - same problem.
Disconnected all tail lights - same problem.
Disconnected computer - same problem.
Changed the relay holder next to the battery from spare car - same problem.

My next option is to pull the dash out and disconnect all the plugs in there and if that does not work then I will have to pull the wiring harness out altogether which I don't want to do because it is a bit of a big job and I have no real idea of what I am doing when it comes to wiring, but then I would be able to unwrap the masking tape of it and see if there is a damaged wire in it.

If anyone has any other idea please let me know and I try it before pouring petrol on it out of frustration and burning the bloody thing.
Nah, I cant see me doing that. I love my little black car but its a thought.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Besides the hot fusable link the issue is your car isn't starting, Is that right?
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Schultz
I like starions

Another update

Post by Schultz »

G'day RiceThief

Yep it is not starting.
I was just in the shed and pulled the computer apart, could not see any damage. With it unplugged the link DID NOT get hot. So I plugged it in again and the fusible link gets hot again. Also I don't think its the actual computer causing the problem just that the problem occurs when the computer is plugged in. I am thinking that the problem might be in the wiring between the computer and the fusible link.

When I touch the fusible link to the battery I can hear a click from a relay under the dash somewhere but have not found it yet.
The other thing is the computer is a Motec M800 model which is about 20 years old and I had the computer wired up to the car by a bloke in Cairns QLD. But I don't think a replacement computer would be findable because its that old.
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Do you still have the wiring diagram for the m800? Test to see if you are getting 12v to the ecu. Relay you are hearing could be one used for the ecu. At least you have isolated it to the ecu, so trace the wiring back to the battery if you aren't getting 12v at the pins. My car sat around for 5 months cause of a blown fuse for the autronic. The ecu would get power from the accessories wire but I couldn't get a full 12 volts to the ecu so it wouldn't fire anything. I spent a few weeks trying to find a bad ground.

Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

Thank you RiceThief

[img][img]http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz11 ... e0a728.jpg[/img]

That is my wiring diagram for the M800 computer. So I need to check pin 17 and 18 that goes to a 20 amp fuse for 12 volts?

What about pin 19? That is the relay for the fuel pump.

I just checked again and the fusible link only gets hot when the ignition is turned on.
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

Which fusible link is it? I'm guessing when the ECU is enabled by the ignition being on the power is provided to the injectors and coil and maybe there is a short on one of those wires?
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

G'day popup

In the relay box is 4 fusible links and I have all removed. The link I am talking about is the one comes from under the box, is white in colour and then has a connecter that goes to the + side of the battery.

But I am still thinking it is a problem with the fuel pump like you suggested but I think its in the wiring, so today I will jack the car up at the back and then have a very close look at the fuel pump wiring. My wiring goes underneath the car. I remembered that I went bush bashing in it a couple of month ago and a rock might have got thrown up against the wiring and making it short out.
Superior German thinking.
Its probably something totally different but I have that missing pttt pttt pttt sound from the pump.

Then again the battery went flat in a month of the car sitting and the ignition was off ~ this could indicate that either I have 2 problems or that I am on the wrong track altogether.
Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

It lives again. :D

The problem was caused by the sensor on my exhaust pipe shorting out.
Now I just have to bolt everything back in and voila, all good.

Life is wonderful.

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank all members on here in there effort to assist me with finding the problem.
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Good to hear Schultz