Electrical guru wanted

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Electrical guru wanted

Post by OLD FART »

Have just refitted my cleaned fuel tank along with a 944 pump with a new pre pump and pre fuel rail filters . All hoses and wires in right places and tried to start motor and it ran for a few seconds and stopped. There is app half full pre tank filter ( would have thought that it should have filled right up if pump was working) so the pump must have worked but car won't start :x
Have checked dash fuse box and all ok so is there another fuse/relay that looks after the pump and if so where is it ??
Any helpful suggestions appreciated :)
Can I check to see if there is power at the pump with a test light by clipping onto the "+" terminal and connecting to the other to earth on the car or to the earth terminal on the pump ??
Is the anti backflow valve really needed on the outlet end of the pump ??

PS electrics are black magic to me :oops: LOL
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

so your not getting fuel pressure to the injector rail?

im not sure if a test light will work but you can go get a cheap multimeter that will work and see if there is juice going to the pump

but just as easy would be pull the line off the fuel rail and see if it pisses out when you turn the ignition on
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

iXNAY wrote:so your not getting fuel pressure to the injector rail?

im not sure if a test light will work but you can go get a cheap multimeter that will work and see if there is juice going to the pump

but just as easy would be pull the line off the fuel rail and see if it pisses out when you turn the ignition on
When ign is on can't hear/feel anything from the pump. Have heard that they are quite noisy.
When I originally had the stock pump replaced many years ago the new one had to be replaced as it was faulty. Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice so I have been told :wtf:
Last edited by OLD FART on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Phoned Dave (Redzone) who told me the pump relay is in passengers footwell near the computer so took cover off and found a loose 3pin connector have sent pic of it to Lee and waiting to hear from him before I put it together as don't want to make matters worse by putting it together if it shouldn't be so fingers xxxx that this is the end of my problems :?
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
1320ft
almost postwhore

Re: Electrical guru wanted

Post by 1320ft »

OLD FART wrote: Is the anti backflow valve really needed on the outlet end of the pump ??
yes
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

what ECU are you running? the factory ECU wont fun the pump until it knows the engine is cranking - so when you turn the ignition on and the engine not yet running the pump will not be running (it may run for a second or two initially to prime). Once the ECU knows the starter is being triggered and that the engine is running (crank signal) only then it will send power to trigger the fuel pump relay.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

dirtygalant wrote:what ECU are you running? the factory ECU wont fun the pump until it knows the engine is cranking - so when you turn the ignition on and the engine not yet running the pump will not be running (it may run for a second or two initially to prime). Once the ECU knows the starter is being triggered and that the engine is running (crank signal) only then it will send power to trigger the fuel pump relay.
Haltec E6X
Will run a test wire from battery + to pump + to rule out faulty pump.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

I'm using a Haltech E6 in my MPI set up & when the ignition is first turned on, the ECU operates the fuel pump relay for about 5 seconds, after which the pump will stop unless the ECU is receives ignition trigger pulses which then keeps the fuel pump relay operated.
Several checks can be done, firstly connect 12 volts direct to the pump & check that its actually pumps fuel at the required rate & pressure.
Secondly, check that the fuel pump relay thats driven from the Haltech ECU is actually operating when it should. Usually you can hear it click when switching on or off.
Also Haltech usually have a dedicated fuel pump fuse in the small fuse strip that has the 3 little fuses in it. Check that the fuse isn't blown, damaged or not seating correctly.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
niss720
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by niss720 »

Could be the pump its self, I fitted a Bosch pump in my JB, ran new wires and a relay triggered by the stinger ecu, when turning on the ignition I could hear an Initial clunk from the fuel pump but no continual buzz. :x Only after an attempt to start it did I realise the pump didnt work so had to drop the tank again and connected it to 12v and fuel only trickled out of it :roll: , another couple hundred for a new Bosch 044 and problem solvered :twisted:
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
Blue JA Starion (parting)
Silver JA Starion, 45000kms, coilovers
4G63 VR4 cordia
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

You have to be careful & remember that Bosch pumps are not designed to suck & push at the same time. They are designed to be fed, thats why the VLT uses a small lift pump etc.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

also, I may be remembering this wrong, but those pumps require a larger amount of current going through the wires - if your wires are undersized for the pump's demands, they will start to get extremely hot, and burn through the insulation and possibly short out

perhaps as a safety either replace the wires completely, oe have them checked + run an extra set to double up?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

thrash wrote:also, I may be remembering this wrong, but those pumps require a larger amount of current going through the wires - if your wires are undersized for the pump's demands, they will start to get extremely hot, and burn through the insulation and possibly short out

perhaps as a safety either replace the wires completely, oe have them checked + run an extra set to double up?
Im pretty sure if you don't get enough current through a pump like a 044, it just won't flow to its full potential. Thats why its recommended to run it directly from the battery with a relay.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Its alive :D took all the 4 fuses in the Haltec fuse block and there seemed to be a bit of white on the blades so sprayed fuses & block with contact cleaner and blew block out with compressed and put it all back together and hey presto fired up 1st crank so now no more of this :( and now I look more like this :D again.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

90% of electrical problems are caused by bad/frosty connections :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au