Starion 4g63 > 4g54 2.6

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
karl_2ltgc
[P] Plater austaz

Starion 4g63 > 4g54 2.6

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Anyone done it? I've got a JA starion with no motor just waiting for a little bit more capacity :).

I know the sigma motors pretty well so i got no problems with that stuff, my only problems are wiring, i plan on running a complete magna mpi setup. Does any have a wiring diagram for starion?
Anyone done the conversion?
I know they US got the 2.6. Also wondering about power steering pump and air con, anyone know if the starion power steer and a/c will bolt onto sigma motor, otherise i will just use sigma a/c and power steering pump.

Atm i have a sigma wide block that will be rebuilt soon, got magna head, efi gear is on the way and Throttle body/thermostat will be welded to other side by engineer, also factory sigma turbo manifold :).

Plan is to get her running an regoed with n/a efi 2.6, then turbo and aftermarket fuel comp when money allows.
'82 Build JA Starion
Getting 2.6T
'75 GC Galant
2.6 an 5spd
David
I like starions more

Schematics

Post by David »

Hi Karl,

Starion ECI harness is on the left side. Just remove the whole thing. It comes out in one piece, and won't affect the main harness.

Just wire in the tacho, etc in manually.

You probably don't need a diagram, but if you get stuck,

http://blackice.com.au/starion/misc/service-1.tif
and
http://blackice.com.au/starion/misc/page37.tif

Both are Aust JA.

Regards
David
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

I can't believe you would not just put an aftermarket computer in there to start with. Seems a lot of trouble to go to then have to pull it all out again? But I guess if you are on a budget you do what you have to.

I would have thought the sigma power steering pump will work ok. Sigma aircon as well.
The Starion 2.6 factory setup has the power steering pump way down low on the drivers side of the engine. Completely different to the 4G63.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

I would definately start off with an aftermarket computer. You can buy a new wolf 3d for $1000 and then buy the hand controller later on, when you've got more money.

It is a lot of work to install one computer then pull it out and put another one in. It could also make troubleshooting much more difficult.
karl_2ltgc
[P] Plater austaz

Post by karl_2ltgc »

David - Thanks heaps for the info.

As for aftermarket computers well let me explain to you all just what this setup is gonna cost me, so you can better see my point of view.

Starion purchased with busted motor and missing motor related bits $300
Busted old motor sold for someone(turned out to be virgin block) -$200
Top nick magna head complete $40
All associated EFI hardware $132
Sigma Bottom End $50
Bottom end rebuild with balanced/lightened rods, less balance shafts, new rings an bearings and gasket kit, baffled sump $approx 350
all up thats less than $700...expectedly there will be plenty of little things (but sigma gear is dirt cheap anyway) but still thats a whole going MPI EFI 2.6 Starion for less than $1k :D
'82 Build JA Starion
Getting 2.6T
'75 GC Galant
2.6 an 5spd
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Where the f**k do you get a magna head for $40
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

yeh gadget here has 2.6 and kept ps and ac. even bolts up to the staz gearbox if u use the manual 2.6 block
_

Post by Cam »

Why the fuck would you want a 2.6lt piece of shit that doesnt rev? seriously!
'Look Daddy I'm A Farmer'
David
I like starions more

Why?

Post by David »

2.6's still pull hard, and the US Starions post reasonable quarters...

We're just all equally biased towards 2.0.... That's all.

David
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

Deeks is right I have recently brought a JA with 2.6, Magna head, MPI, Ford XF throttle body 70mm, GARRET T-04E. It still running air con and power steering. the guy that did the work went for a WOLF 3D but I have been told that these aern't the best EMS around, but the price is. The power steering pump and resevoir all seem to match standard system. I ain't sure about the aircon though. The gear box is stock staz one also. I say go for the engine conversion there is so much more torqe!
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

Cam wrote:Why the fuck would you want a 2.6lt piece of shit that doesnt rev? seriously!
What RPM do you take your car to any way? U peak out 1st and hit 60. You boot it in 2nd and you braking the speed limit. My car can hit around 6500 before you no it. You dont need massive revs to get moving quickly
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

The n/a 2.6 in our rally car would spin to 8k quite happily.
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

Come to think of it I know a group of guys that rally a 2.6 Starion here in Adelaide. They say the engine is bullet proof and the only thing they have to look after is the gear box's. They are regular winners in the club they belong to.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

2.6 is a darn good motor. Yes, it can be made to rev if you like, but who needs rpms when you have torque ? Take a page from the turbo buick v6 - dirt cheap motor, redlines ~5500, but you won't find a more reliable, inexpensive to mod, 10sec full wt. daily driver... obviously rpms not necessary, they add stress and wear.
2.6 has lungs to spin up bigger turbos that are proven laggy on 2.0L sohc or dohc, doesn't matter. Result is a broader, more usefull torque band. As for street and strip performance accomplishments, nobody can argue the 2.6 capabilities vs any other 4
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

I have just one word for you:
SR20DET :D