Hidden / stealth radio antennas

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Hidden / stealth radio antennas

Post by Alspos »

I want to hide my antenna but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

There's some on ebay that attach to demister (pain in the butt to run so not doing it) to dipole ones and the ones with a little box and single wire?

Failing that...ditch the rear window washer and use the hole for a beesting / roof mount one.

Input?
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

My company vehicle has the aerial located inside the drivers side external mirror housing. Works great, totally hidden. Not sure if anyone has tried this mod on a Starion tho.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Years ago when I had the JB repainted, I welded up the stock aerial hole and used a universal kit from Supercheap Auto. Can't remember the brand, but it was an amplified type that stuck on the inside of the windscreen. A box roughly 50x50mm sat in between the rear-view mirror stalk and the screen, hidden behind the tinted band at the top of the screen. There was a stick-on aerial that stuck onto the outside, but this fell off and made no difference to the reception.
I routed the power cables and aerial cable inside the a-pillar, so it was all hidden.

Wish I still had some pics, but worth a waddle down to your local shop to check what is available.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
adam169
[P] Plates

Post by adam169 »

I'm running one in my ja and and it works great
Vg30et powered Starion
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I went to the wreckers today and went exploring. Looking at Barina/Vectra roof mounts...I think they're too big plus I couldn't be bothered pulling all the wiring as they are powered also.

Found a Mondeo front roof mount, small mount but the connector on the radio end of the cable is some stupid ass european thing.

Then I found this one. A small modification (cut a small flat on the mount) and it's just about right. I need to shave a little more off so it sits down when I tighten it up but it should be all good.

And the good thing is if I don't like it later I can still re-use the hole and remount the water sprayer in the same place.

Cost : $8
Found on......Alfa 33!