Real world mileage?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Real world mileage?

Post by FST4RD »

Realistically with a full factory intercooled starion with a slightly better then factory exhaust and no cat what kind of round town traffic mileage could\should I get?
Im quite a light foot driver... Could I get better then 9.5-9L per 100k?
Also the motor in mine is still in good condition.[/i]
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

3.5 diff gears, a light foot, short shifting and no leaky injectors you might get 10 around town :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

redzone wrote:3.5 diff gears, a light foot, short shifting and no leaky injectors you might get 10 around town :)
10L per 100k?! Wow I didn't think they were that bad.

At the moment with the 2 jobs I have Im going through almost a quarter of a tank a day with the Legacy (twin turbo, manual, completely factory).
Was thinking to save fuel I could have finished the starion and use that.
Might just have to buy a mini...
JayME
Big Dorifto

Post by JayME »

I get 9.8L per 100k in my non intercooled EX (measured by an app on my phone) Thats about 90% round town driving and driving quietly.

Makes my Corolla somewhat more attractive at 6.8L per 100k for putting to the shops etc (even if it is the worlds most boring car)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Mine is around the 10l/100k's mark around town, got almost exactly 9l/100k's on a big trip up north.
GasJA
I like starions

Post by GasJA »

Whats the pricing on Autogas or LPG or Propane - whatever you call it over there? In Oz the cheapest cars to run are Autogas or Dual Fuel.
Falcons are dirt cheap to run on gas over here and taxis run big mileages on gas before the engines are rebuilt. Big fuel savings are on offer if you drive a lot of Km's - easily covers annual registration & 3rd party insurance.
One of my mates got a factory (spec) straight gas Magna reliable and cheap as to run. At the moment in Victoria which is cheaper than other states, bog standard unleaded is A$1.35 and Autogas A$0.63.

New Falcon Eco LPi is now liquid phase injection and has more power and torque than the base petrol model.

Why is liquid phase injection better? (from the Ford Australia website)

As opposed to traditional systems, the liquid injection system takes the gas in liquid state all the way to the injectors. The injectors deliver LPG liquid into the intake port as the engine sucks in the air/fuel mix. As the LPG liquid is released from the injector, because it is no longer under pressure, it expands approximately 250 times into gas and almost freezes the incoming air. This creates the ideal condition for maximum fuel burning efficiency, hence producing more power and torque economically and with fewer CO2 emissions.
4G63 hard to live with
hard to live without..
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Don't like the thought of lpg to be honest...
Guy on another forum said he had a nz new 97 mirage, 1500 carb and was getting 5L per 100k on a regular basis round town. Going to investigate more I think.
JayME
Big Dorifto

Post by JayME »

Anything light with a small motor should achieve reasonable economy - in modernish cars anyway. The mrs has a 96 Honda Integra (the base 1600 sohc injected zc motor). It will happily averge in the mid 6L per 100k range without worring to much about how you drive it
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

My widey auto driven back from sydney got 8.5L/100km, the autos rev well under 2000 rpm at 100 though..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

with my Eterna I was seeing as low as 8L/100km with open road driving. The fuel economy was massively improved (when off boost anyway) by going to a TC06 over the spool happy TC05.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I'm averaging 14L/100km. City driving, modified (146rwkw) and flooring it 50% of the time... :twisted:
1985 JB Starion #157
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

I've decided Im going to get a small, very small car. Something like a Suzuki alto 3 cylinder. I have 2 jobs and travel close to 80k a day, and when you can get 5L per 100k from one of them it will soon pay itself off.
GasJA
I like starions

Post by GasJA »

The hidden saving on these small-est cars is there is very little depreciation. Buy new, (ab)use, sell, get another one. If you do more country driving the larger models such as Jazz or Lancer are probably a better option.
If you are buying something a bit bigger Honda's really hold their value well in the used market. Particularly Jazz (amazingly versatile interior and roomy back seat) and Civic and only use probably only 1liter per 100 more. Less so their more expensive models.
Hondas are probably a better buy new. But even though they are more expensive secondhand they still hold their value well when it is time to sell. Lancer and Mirage have a reputation for durability over here and hold their value quite well also.
4G63 hard to live with
hard to live without..
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

FST4RD wrote:I've decided Im going to get a small, very small car. Something like a Suzuki alto 3 cylinder. I have 2 jobs and travel close to 80k a day, and when you can get 5L per 100k from one of them it will soon pay itself off.
And you will get so sick of driving it you will be miserable. Unable to overtake, sneak into that gap in traffic unless you have 10 seconds of warning etc and heaven forbid you should ever hit anything in what equates to a sardine tin.
As above, a relatively new FI 4 cylinder manual can be driven fairly economically if you try a little.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Plus side is a micro car will make a stock starion seem like a rocketship!