Power steering box

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Power steering box

Post by iXNAY »

hey guys,

just wondering if you disconnect the power steering pump from the box and just plug up the holes on the box will it still work but just be hard to turn?

regards
Ryan
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Yes
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Significantly harder than a manual steering box though.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Just pop the belt off to get an idea how heavy it is. Not an enjoyable experience expecially when I had a aftermarket smaller diameter steering wheel making it even harder.
1985 JB Starion #157
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

I only ask because me and a mate are building a car to do burnouts and etc. with and it wont be registered so it wont be getting driven on the road :)

So i'm guessing for my application it should be fine :)

cheers guys
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

be carfeul of deleted power steering and throwing a car into a skid mate, when the steering wheel corrects itself it will try and take your fingers with it...
the fairmont has no power steering and 1967 steering ratios and when you throw it into a nut at about 60kmh the steering wheel does what it wants!
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

in my first staz, i drove around for a while with a busted power steering pump caused by all the fluid leaking out onto the alternator, and left it fluidless until i could get another unit cos i didn't want the alternator getting bathed in it every day. It was fine on the road, just a bit more effort to park in tight spots
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol