Turbo setup Issue. JA vs JD Turbo. BOV vs Plugged.

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Bruzman
I like starions

Turbo setup Issue. JA vs JD Turbo. BOV vs Plugged.

Post by Bruzman »

Objective:
Using my current gear/resources, I want to use my best possible Turbo with my Inter-cooler and Blow-off-Valve setup.

Background:
Vuples, the champion, gave me a free JD turbo+exhaust manifold and a inter-cooler+piping to suit. Tho, Vuples informed me that the original JA turbo is better then JD one.

Issue 1 (Minor):
I wish to use the inter-cooler and piping for my JA. My current setup has a BOV (blow-off-valve) installed between the housing and intake. It's a shitty BOV, but I wish to keep it.

Options:
1. Keep using the piping that goes between the turbo and intake with the BOV attached. Tho, instead of plugging it into the turbo, I'd put it into the piping for the inter-cooler.
2. Remove the current piping and find a place to mount the BOV on the newer inter-cooler piping.
3. Use the inter-cooler piping without any BOV. (AKA Plugged)

Issue 2 (Major):
The JD Turbo's compressor housing is facing 250 degree's from top (away from engine/intake), while my current JA Turbo is facing the stock way (towards the engine/intake). Vulpes suggested that the JA is better then the JD (Bigger Housing/More Boost). So, if that is correct, I'd like to keep my JA Turbo on the 4g63 then adding the JD Turbo. Problem being, that I cannot use my inter-cooler piping without rotating the Turbo to how the JD Turbo is positioned.

Options:
1. Use the JD Turbo. Remembering I only want the best Turbo.
2. Rotate the compressor housing on the JA Turbo. (Some Turbos have bolts, some have a spring or something. Currently unsure how this one is rotated)

Questions:
Issue 1:
1. Which option do you believe is the better choice? and why?
2. Do you run a BOV?
Issue 2:
1. Which option do you believe is the better choice? and why?
2. Which is the better Turbo? JA or JD? why?
3. How does the JA turbo's compressor housing rotate?
Work on Car, Go to Gym, Pump Bitches = Life
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Mine have always been on the hot side (before the cooler)

I cant remember all the technical B/S, but here is something I stole:

The BOV is keeping the turbo from having compressor surge, where the pressure is trying to basically back feed into the compressor forcing the wheel to want to go backwards. Because when you let off the gas the pressure decreases in your exhaust and increases in the charge piping because it has nowhere to go. From what Ive been told this when it happens it sounds cool but can be very bad for your turbo. So with that in mind I would think you would want to evacuate the pressure as close to the turbo as you can since that is the component you want to protect from the pressure.

Oh, Get rid of the cheap SHIT BOV, that can greatly effect turbo performance. They have crap springs & diaphrams etc. I would go for either a Tial or Turbosmart (Tial being my preference)
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Rotate the JA-housing (remove the locking/guiding-pin), put on the IC and piping, get a proper BOV!!! :beer
Bruzman
I like starions

Post by Bruzman »

1320ft wrote: The BOV is keeping the turbo from having compressor surge, where the pressure is trying to basically back feed into the compressor forcing the wheel to want to go backwards. Because when you let off the gas the pressure decreases in your exhaust and increases in the charge piping because it has nowhere to go. From what Ive been told this when it happens it sounds cool but can be very bad for your turbo. So with that in mind I would think you would want to evacuate the pressure as close to the turbo as you can since that is the component you want to protect from the pressure.

Oh, Get rid of the cheap SHIT BOV, that can greatly effect turbo performance. They have crap springs & diaphrams etc. I would go for either a Tial or Turbosmart (Tial being my preference)
Yeah, I know that a BOV is good for the Turbo. It stops the back pressure doing damage to the turbine in the compressor housing! :)
Having it "Plugged" is only good for track days, because when changing gears quickly at high RPM, you want to keep the turbo spinning anyway.

Tho, I wasn't aware that a shit BOV would effect my performance! Thank you! This is some of the information I require! :beer
fugazi wrote:Rotate the JA-housing (remove the locking/guiding-pin), put on the IC and piping, get a proper BOV!!! :beer
Sounds like a battle strategy to me! So you would agree that the JA Turbo is better than the JD one?

Thank you both :D
Bruzman
I like starions

Post by Bruzman »

1320ft wrote: I would go for either a Tial or Turbosmart (Tial being my preference)
I started looking for a Tial BOV. I did some research on what is their best BOV in range. It was said to be the Tial Q BOV (50mm). It was said to have 60% better airflow then the previous 50mm, which was originally massive anyway.
Here is one I found on Ebay (Original 50mm I believe):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-50 ... 500wt_1180
Retail $200-250 - Ebay $91 posted.

50mm is quiet massive tho. I'd need bigger better piping to fit it properly. most BOV's I see are around 30mm.

So, what do you think? is it too big for my JA Starion? LOL Does anyone have a link to where I can buy a quality BOV cheaper then retail.

I'd always considered getting the "Go-Fast-Bit's Deceptor Pro BOV" because of they ability to plug and unplug the BOV via a dial. BUT they are way to expensive! Retail $549
http://www.gfb.com.au/products?page=sho ... gory_id=73
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Ive run GFB Mach 1 valves on a few cars and have found them brilliant. They dont leak, and sound great. And are a good price :beer
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

IMHO the ebay BOV is not a genuine Tial but is a China knock off copy.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

OLD FART wrote:IMHO the ebay BOV is not a genuine Tial but is a China knock off copy.
Correct.

I'll get you a price on a genuine tial from work.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
Bruzman
I like starions

Post by Bruzman »

1320ft wrote:
OLD FART wrote:IMHO the ebay BOV is not a genuine Tial but is a China knock off copy.
Correct.

I'll get you a price on a genuine tial from work.
Thank you both!

I might go with option 1 for the BOV until I get a good one to replace.
The piping I decided I'd like to replace. The piping is 2 inch 90% of the way. Which is fine, but it's mostly silicon hose. It doesn't give much to mount the BOV.
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Bruzman wrote:
fugazi wrote:Rotate the JA-housing (remove the locking/guiding-pin), put on the IC and piping, get a proper BOV!!! :beer
Sounds like a battle strategy to me! So you would agree that the JA Turbo is better than the JD one?

Thank you both :D
Not better, just different...
Depends on what you'r after...
Rotating the housing is a walk in the park...
Try both turbo's and see what you like the most...
Bruzman
I like starions

Post by Bruzman »

fugazi wrote: Not better, just different...
Depends on what you'r after...
Rotating the housing is a walk in the park...
Try both turbo's and see what you like the most...
Thank you for answering that! I don't know if I'll get much of a chance to try both.. I doubt I'd have a keen enough eye to notice the key differences.

Do you have any option on there personal traits as turbos?

just a guess from looking at it, but;
JA: has better flow/longer boost, just takes longer to spool.
JD: spools quicker, but cannot hold boost as long.
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

The way the turbo works/reacts/spool's depends not onley on the turbo...
Just as much on the rest of the setup!
Edgier cam/higher lift/more duration and/or a bigass downpipe and exhaust will do wonders....
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

need dose for maximum cred!! :P.. only way to do it.

and i have noticed my JA's turbo does take a bit to spool for something of its size.. thought it would be instanteous boost.. but dont feel much happening until around 4k.. should just run a screamer on dump pipe and plumb back on intake to get more airflow into compressor housing. lol just kidding mate XD.
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

3" dump pipe makes them spool quicker, the stock dump is uber restrictive..

TC05's can be ok if u wind the boost up.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

I'd say 3" is a minimum...