Haltech F 10 and ignitionproblems

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
hollandgalant
[P] Plater austaz

Haltech F 10 and ignitionproblems

Post by hollandgalant »

I have the following mods

4 G 63 SOHC 8 valve sirius turbo engine modelyear 1983
TD 05-16G @ 15 psi
4 G 64 head
4 G 64 multipoint inletmanifold with 440 cc injectors
MSD blaster coil
Haltech F 10 a
Stage 2 camshaft
Stock igniter, stock distributor

I am now trying to get the car running fine and I am having problems with the ignition. The haltech is connected directly to the negative side of the coil. The rpm signal I am recieving on the Haltech is ok but not if I accelerate heavy or at high revs then the rpm signal becames erratic sometimes is goes back form 4000 rpm to 1700 rpm, while the engine is still running 4000 rpm. Has anybody got an idea if something is wrong with my set up or with my ignition system such as the capacitor.

Kind regards,

Johan
The Netherlands
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

I would say you have a triggering problem. The RPM jumping around is the indication of this. There may be another signal you can trigger off. There should be a filter on the negative side of the coil that gives a clean signal back to the ECU. I will see if I can take a pic for you.

Also I am not sure the MSD blaster coil is correct. Which one is it? Try putting the stock coil back on.
Will it rev out on part throttle ok?

What happens is when you change the coil you can change the waveform on the negative side of the coil. It's had to explain unless you have an oscillscope to see the trace.

Also a question from me can you confirm the 4G64 2.4 head has bigger valves that the 4G63 and do you have any pics?
hollandgalant
[P] Plater austaz

Post by hollandgalant »

Valves of 4 G 64 are indeed bigger and also the ports are bigger. The only problem is that the bore is a little bit bigger so I used the headgasket of an 4 G 64 but you get a little ring in your burnchamber but I want to test if this is a problem in real. The car is running very good for the moment until i Hit the full throttle. Partly throttle is ok and also the rpm signal is ok when I hit partly throttle. The problem occurs only with full throttle.

I have pics of the head I will send you these as soon as I found them on my other pc. I also have a cam made for this engine by RPW. The cam is exactly the same as in the g63 head. The only thing I had to adjust was to put in longer valvestuds to adjust the right valveclearance (from a Starion 1986) But that is a very small job.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

What you will find is the negative side of the coil trace changes with engine load. It is possible it will trigger ok sometimes and not others. This is why it's worth changing the coil, an easy thing to try. Not because there is something wrong with the coil just to see if it fixes the triggering problem on the F10.
Also if the ignition is "breaking down" for some reason this will also affect the triggering of the F10.
The F10 should also trigger off a 12V square wave.

Unless for some reason the ignition system is not getting triggered properly?

Yes I always suspected the valves and ports may be bigger on the 4G64. Look forward to seeing the pics.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

oh man if you lived in sydney i could help you my mate used to work at haltech and has just opened up his own tuning buisness with the latest dyno dynamics 2wd dyno. He is also a licenced haltech dealer and installed and tuned my f9 on my gti and will be doing the same with the e6k i just purchased.If you want to email him its jem_efi@optusnet.com.au good luck
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

Hello Johan,

See you found Austarion.
2 bad we don't have boards like these in Holland :roll:
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

damnit, i shoulda called this place '4G63 world' or something! hehe, so u guys wouldn't feel so out of place. ah, your australian in our hearts! well, your cars are anyway :wink:
_

Post by hollandgalant »

I`ve tried an other coil, i´ve tried the oem and I´ve treid one form a starion 1987 2.6 but the problem still occurs. My tach is connected at the same signal and this is working fine. So now I am wondering if i have connected the trigger signal right to my haltech wire. After checking the connection we have only connected two wires, one for singal and one for 13,8 v is this alright or has there be an earth wire connected or something like that. The manual of the haltech is not clear how to connect these exactly, so perhaps you guys can help me out.

And Decoy thank you very much that we are welcome at your fine forum. In Europe there is very little knowledge in tuning the 4 g 63bt 8 valve. And you guys are much further also with the programmable systems, That´s also why I have chosen the Haltech system. So now I am curious if I can get it right. Everyone who loves the 4 g 63 or starion or galant (sigma in Australia) is my friend ha.

Thanks in advance.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

down load the haltech manual from their website if you dont have it.
all the wireing diagrams are there.
i cant imagine the ecu working without an earth/ground/0VDC connection though.
yes, the 4G63 and 4G64 are great engines, strong!