Help needed - JD not happy - will not idle

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Noddy
Enthusiast

Help needed - JD not happy - will not idle

Post by Noddy »

Hi
Unfortunately I have not been driving the JD as much as i should (read that as never!) hence I have had it for sale.
I went down the road and put some fuel in it as its been sitting for a while and it ran quite rough, which I thought would sort itself out..... but it has not.
Next day it starts like a dream and runs for maybe 10secs then wants to die....... and does unless you give it some throttle - even with throttle its rough and as soon as you try to let it idle it fades and stops.

So I have worked through a few things.....
1 Tried 2 new air flow meters - no change - checked AFM resistance and OK
2 Check injector resistors 6 ohm - all OK
3 Changed fuel filter for brand new - no change
4 Changed fuel pressure regulator for spare - no change
5 Injectors are new from US 650CC - checked resistance at 2.3ohm each (book suggests 0.5-1.0 but car ran fine with these when first installed - should be 2-3 for os model)
6 checked intake air sensor B - RESISTANCE OK
7 checked fuel pump with the fuel pump connector and it hums nicely
8 changed battery for fully charged one.... no change

This could be something simple so i need the great Brains trust of Austarion to give me some suggestions.
I have the JD workshop manual so have worked through some of that but no luck.
The ECU diagnostics are done by an ECI reader so there is no light to use as a diagnostic tool.

Please help with your advice.

Thanks in advance

Ray

:beer
1985 JB - owned from new.
1986 JD - used to own one.......
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

Sounds all too familiar

Maybe try these...

- igniter (golden box near coil/battery)
- map sensor (golden box on driver side firewall)
- fusable wires (on left side near AFM or on battery side)
- Ignition coil
- spark plugs
- knock sensor
- firing on all cylinders
- knock sensor

good luck....

oh and... did you put diesel in ?? :-)
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Similar thing happened to mine. Turned out to be a small split in the hose from the inlet manifold to the MAP sensor up on the firewall.

good luck, panda
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

Spark plugs are OK

Premium unleaded

It runs smooth as silk for 10 secs so all is firing until something says please run like shit and then stop......... some terrorist has corrupted my 4G63 !!

Thanks for input..... other ideas?

:D
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

I remember Sonic had a similar incident when he bought the two tone grey JB in Sydney and he couldn't drive back to Brissy. It turned out to be a loose connection on the injector terminals and wires etc.

I've had similar problems with some of my imports that have been laying idle for years with low fuel tanks. Rust developes in the tanks and cloggs the tank filters.
The fuel runs fine for a short period then pump struggles after a while or under load and engine begins to conk out.

Check injector terminals first. If no luck, you might have to drain/drop tank out and check filters or swap tanks with JB.....pita!!

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

weak fuel pump?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jk »

Sounds like my JB which has sat unused for a few months now because of it. :roll:

Was intermittant like this pretty much since I bought it, changed engine bay fuel filter and it was fixed for a couple of months then the problem returned to stay. :x

I really suspect it's still fuel with mine. Original pump is probably near dead and/or tank filter blocked. Would love to hear your solution when it's fixed, I'm dragging my feet with other things at the moment to fix mine.
jb - white outside maroon inside
Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

as Dave says - I suspect fuel pump or something to do with fuel - JK do you feel like coming over SOR and changing out a tank/pump etc? :D then you will find out first hand if it is that !!!
jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jk »

Yeah I'd give you a hand with that job if you like (contact details PM'd)

After the second group buy fell through on JAS's external swirl pots I thought I'd go with a custom aluminium drop tank with integrated swirl pot and new pumps/filters. Could use this job to grab some dimensions off the original tank to get the ball rolling on design.
jb - white outside maroon inside
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

^^^^

There's no point just changing the fuel pump if the condition of tank and/or filters are still in poor condition. Check out tank and filters first!
A flush may help the situation, but with todays high octane fuels with additives, it has a habit of lifting crap from the tank. BP's the worst with Mobile being one the better ones.....

As I said, I've had these issues before esp. with the GSR-V where I thought the ECU was playing up! Getting another DASH ECU was not going to be easy...
but luckily it was the tank and fuel pump all along (X2 auto widey the other)!
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

OK
all I need now is a spare tank and pump to slot in.......
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Going to drop the tank out of the JB today if you need it.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
starionc
I love starions

Post by starionc »

Noddy wrote:OK
all I need now is a spare tank and pump to slot in.......
Today I was at the auto electrician with my JA ready to start! (after Micro tech LT10s and L300 manifold)

New pump, plugs, oil etc. It's been 4 years since I ran the car! Yes I drained the tank and put 20L of PULP.
We could not get fuel at the front of the car, or the back! Removed all the hoses and took out the pick up unit. """ :o HOLY MOTHER OF>>>>

4 Years and my pick up point and fine pre filter had blocked up SOLID!!!! The whole pipe was 100% BLOCKED I should of taken a photo!

Check the pick up in your tank!!!!! ALL of you!!!! 29 years of shit in it!!!!!

I cleaned it out and got it to flow, but now I found out that I need a pick up pump to feed the main pump :glare:
So now I need to spend a bit more LOL

Cheers Jason
How many Starions can one man drive!!

Check out my website: www.aboutstumpgrinding.com.au
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

I had a similar thing with my JA once. It turned out the large round plug going to the injector pot on the inlet manifold was plugged in but not quite plugged in enough, it looked ok but turned out to be loose, try pushing the plugs together. PS Jason, how is your set up going, and if your tune is ok I wouldnt mind a copy of your map for mine. I guess that depends on what injectors your using though.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I would also say fuel tank related. Pump may be pressurising everything nicely on start up but cannot keep up after the car is running. Remove the fuel pickup from the top of the tank and check the strainer at the bottom.