does oil go off?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

does oil go off?

Post by MR Bender »

HELLO

Does motor oil good off? or is it good for awile?
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Glen, not 100% sure with new oil but I know that old oil separates over time. If you were to open a sump plug on a car that's not been started for many years, clear liquid comes pouring out (looks like glycerine) then lumps of black grainy looking stuff dollop out - way slower than Mr Whippy having a crap.

Oil lasts much longer than petrol that's for sure. Left long enough, new oil probably separates too.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

If you mean oil still in the container then yes, it will last a few years, if its been exposed to heat and moisture then no it will degrade over time.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

so how long ?

eg:
new oil in a motor / car has been driven about maybe 3 times in a year for one year? will it still be good?
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

change it.. better be safe than sorry.. don't be stingy about 50 bucks of oil and then pay up for an engine replacement ;)

oil has an expiry date. It also expires earlier if kept in sunlight or near anything that causes it to warm up and cool down, even by 5-10 degrees, which can often be the case when left near a window in the sun in winter/autumn - or in a car for that matter.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

MR Bender wrote:eg:
new oil in a motor / car has been driven about maybe 3 times in a year for one year? will it still be good?
and that's not new oil.. that oil is a year old LOL
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

You have to think of oil as good coffee beans.

Keep it in a cool (constant temp) dry place, away from direct sunlight, or else it starts to seperate and break down.

If it is in a car that is rarely driven or even started it should be no longer than 12 months, expecially if it is traditional mineral or a cheaper/older style semi synthetic.

Newer full synthetics and semi's (especially higher end) have good addatives in them that allow them to remain for longer periods and change intervals.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!