Elec mech in Prahran needed! prefer starion experience

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
coletrx
[L] Plates

Elec mech in Prahran needed! prefer starion experience

Post by coletrx »

my car has a new battery and is electricaly dead.. and so is my patience.

if anyone is, knows, or has used a good elecctrical mechanic in the prahran area.. or that can visit my car there, preferably with starion experience... please post your/their details here. u can ring me aswell if u feel, 0419 589 479 and i am chris

thanks in advance, Chris
David
I like starions more

Electrics

Post by David »

Any auto electrician should be able to help you.

Just call a local one.

Be ready though - it's not cheap.

Anyway, consider the following.

1. If it's all dead, then it's usually pretty easy to fix. There's not much that kills everything. Check your battery is actually connected and has charge, even if it's a new one.

2. Check the fuses. Not just the ones near the steering wheel. Check the ones near the battery also, and especially the fusible link.

3. The main point for power to get into the car is from the ignition. Check you have power going to the switch which attaches to the ignition key.

4. If you're getting power there, make sure the power is leaving the switch.

5. Got an immobiliser? They are next on the list of suspects.

6. If you are getting power (you can check if there's 12v on the wires going to the altenator as a good indicator everything is OK) and the immobiliser is OK, then most of the car's bits should work - eg horn, indicators etc.

7. If that's all there, make sure you have 12v at the coil.

8. The coil is fired by that box next to it. It comes from the Dizzy. Make sure they are both plugged in. Make sure they both work.

9. If the coil is getting a signal, just check that it's working. A good coil will spark clean out the top and arc back down to the power if the lead is removed.

10. Check your distributor is aligned properly and leads and plugs are good.

11. Check you have fuel pressure and your injectors work.

12. make sure the airways are open.

13. Start car.

It's about that simple. In practice, does take some time and tools to achieve though.

I've encountered almost *all* of the above, just amongst Starion owning friends broken down on the side of the road.

Most of them drove away after fixing it.

Regards
David
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

Your totaly correct David, a good check list.
And it does not come any more comprehensive than that.
And if we all stick together we can keep Starions going until we are not allowed to use petrol.
One extra item.... check the battery clamps are in good condition... are they clean?
A.
:D
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.