ja running issues

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
james88
Newcomer

ja running issues

Post by james88 »

hey guys i have a ja starion. But just lately for some reason it starts running poorly. Ill explain. Once i take my foot off the throttle my boost gauge goes to maximum and the car starts to run real rough and almost stalls. Almost asif because the computer thinks the car is on max boost its adding alot of fuel and almost stalling.
Could it be my map sensor if so where can i get a new one?

Thanks in advance for anyhelp
ef xr6 turbo dragger
Ba xr6 turbo streeter
El fairmont drifter
newly aquired starion runabout
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

LOL how can it be max boost off throttle?

standard boost gauge..?
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Either the map sensor is buggered, or it is plumbed up incorrectly
palmystar
Dorifto!

Post by palmystar »

if it has started doing it recently and you havn't made any changes in the engine bay the would be map sensor. have you tried unplugging it to se what that does?
If its not broken. Don't fix it
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

sounds allot like the MAP could be playing up as everyone else has already said.

are you looking at the stock boost gauge you have on the instrument cluster or do you have a after market one?

The cheapest option of what i could be is the pipes that run from the inlet to the MAP often if they are old they can become cracked and leak giving the MAP incorrect readings and hence the boost gauge playing up.

As far as getting new parts go, the MAP's can be pretty hard to get some times it depends if some one is having a firesale of their parts shed really haha.
i called around awhile ago to allot of Auto elec's and they where not able to get second hand ones. but there is the chance if you take it to the shop (and the guy/or girl is good) then they may be able to reco it.

I think there is a form member here that reco's based out of Sydney or brisbane? have a look through some old posts there should be a fair bit on MAP's in the forms as they are a commen problem and you might be able to find somthing on reco's in there as well.

Only other thing i can suggest is keep any eye out in the sales section to see if anyone is having a "firesale"