US td06 20G turbos for $1,363 AU dollaaaar

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Rassy
I like starions

US td06 20G turbos for $1,363 AU dollaaaar

Post by Rassy »

Was recently looking on ebay for some prices on TD06 turbos and came across an American joint selling top of the range, (TD06 20G) Mitsubishi turbooos for 950 US. I was happily surprised when I converted it to australian dollars and saw it to be only 1350 or near abouts. Just wandering really if anyone can do any better than that.

Now that I am more knowledgable about what can be bought am wondering what would be the point in saving the maybe 200 or 300 dollars for second hand, rebuilt high flowed turbos. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter or can see I am wrong feel free to have a serious chop. lol. Coz I'm i've done something wrong. It just can't be that simple... Can it?

P.S. to check out what I was looking at on ebay, here's the page, for how ever long it lasts i'm not sure. If it does not work type in TD06 in the world wide search.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... me=MERC_VI

P.P.S. Shipping cost was 30 dollars US which converts to 43 AU dolllaaarr..
________
Gsv-r800
Last edited by Rassy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Don't forget to add customs duty, import tax and GST.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Rassy,
that TD06 is for a Cyclone which is a bit different because it has a special Garrett flange exhaust housing and won't fit a Starion manifold. But this same guy has others that will fit.
Yes you will have to pay GST on the imported price including the freight and maybe duty as well.

This is better use your Starion exhaust housing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2474055397

However this turbo has both water cooling pipes on the same side which I'm not sure will fit ok?
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Apparently they can be purchased locally for similar money
Ford G6ET 458wkws
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

StarionChef wrote:Apparently they can be purchased locally for similar money
Who sells them in OZ?
Rassy
I like starions

Post by Rassy »

huuum buger sounded all good there for a minute. hay if that turbo has a 14mm then what do's the TC06 have.

And cookie what would all the extra GST an duty shit cost?.
Might just pay for me to get a TC06 an then get the 20g compresor houseing an wheel,
would the waste gate on the exhust of the TC be big enough to regulate with the larger (20G) compresor?

Rassy..........
________
Om617 engine
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Mitsi' T series turbos are running on old technology, it might be wiser to switch to Garrett GT series type or a Turbonetics special :D

Example, for $1500 AU exc postage, customs etc......you can get the GT30R 'DUAL Ball-bearing' which supports a 2L all the way to 500Hp and is alot more efficient than any 20G could ever be, me thinks.

Ofcourse you would need an external wastegate and some major modifications, but it comes down to one, your aim/goal and two, your budget bearing in mind that spending that much when for a little extra you could double the performance essentially might be best to stay with the TC06 or 05 ?
David
I like starions more

What do you want to achieve?

Post by David »

Hi Rassy,

I was just wondering what you actually wanted to achieve?

Simply bolting on a bigger turbo will result in a power loss, not increase, over much of the driving range. Also, the bigger the turbo, the later the response and the slower the car feels.

You need to be able to take advantage of higher flow rates and boost levels with the rest of the engine to realise the benefit of a larger turbo.

The TD Turbo's do have a better bearing setup. however the TCs aren't that bad.

If you want a zippy car, go for a smaller turbo - eg TC05-12A. You can get a core (CHRA) for around 600.

You'll really feel the smaller turbo when you put your foot down.

If you want to go fast (really fast) then you'll need a bigger turbo. The trade off is worse performance at lower RPM. However unless you are racing, you probably wont need the extra power up high.

Unless your Turbo is broken, then when it comes to performance upgrades, consider replacing the ECU.

Otherwise, as someone said, you can get some nice new generation Turbo's for reasonable prices now.

But there's nothing really wrong with the '05 or '06 :)

Regards
David
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

mitsu turbos may be 'old' but the numbers they put up are no less impressive than todays. I'd put an evoIII 16G up against any garret GT t28 sized turbo. 16 has taken 3300 pound DSM street cars to 12.2s and datalogged ~44 lbs/min flow.... thats pretty impressive for a 2.0L bone stock motor using a 'responsive small' turbo that cost $550usd shipped.
Great all around performer.
I'd do all other upgrades, tune the heck out of it, then switch to a 20 if you think you'll need it. I doubt the bigger turbo will help you if your aren't running mid 12s on the 16. Its guaranteed it will weaken your low end powerband, but no necessarily make your car a better performer.
Rassy
I like starions

Post by Rassy »

Thanks for all the info with this turbo, an turbo options I just thought if Im giong to buy another turbo why not just the get one an be happy with it an not have to re-sell an get bigger in the future.

Im running a TC05-12a an shes about done her time (blowing white smoke) + its gots some play thats getting a bit serious. The whole idea of the TD06 was that for $1500 I could upgrade an do it cheeper an not have to change me manifold.

I want a biger turbo for the fact that it has the power were I want it at 4k to 6-7k, that just how I drive, an I dont think I would miss the TD05 at all.

Cheers Rassy.........
________
LOVE HELP
David
I like starions more

Sounds reasonable.

Post by David »

Well, if you;r driving up that high all the time, then a larger Turbo won't be too much of a problem.

If they are new as claimed, then that still represents good value, although I'd personally go for a slightly smaller turbo for day to day use though (and I also drive in the higher RPM bands, although more 3.5 to 6k on my daily driver).

I've never seen a TD06 before up close though. From those pictures, it looks like you'd have to make some modifications to make it work.

Regards
David
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I have mentioned before that there are many US shops that sell bolt on Garrett GT spec (both BB and plain) turbos for Mitsubishis. The use a custom rear housing that has a Mitsu flange (both external and internal). As a result, they can be purchased in various configurations to suit your engine. I have heard good things about these turbos but that aren't as popular over here as they are in the US. Buzz Engines in Qld is the Aus distributor of these turbos here.

quest, what do you think of these turbos?
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Rassy,
a normal TC06 would be an improvement over the TC05. But I guess if you are spending the money get something better again.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Rassy, If your happy to spend the money, get a big tdo6, for what it sounds like you want, this will do it-- as long as you have or will upgrade everything else, air fuel and ignition wise
Ford G6ET 458wkws
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

NXTIME,
you're right on the money with those turbos you mentioned.
You want some excellent reading on the garret/mitsu options, go here;
http://www.extremeturbo.com/garrettdsm. ... ad89200538

check out the garret "16g" alternative... seems even better than the evo3 16 and claimed 400whp, for the low price of $599! Great price for and internally wastegated brand new turbo. May work for you Rass
http://www.extremeturbo.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=92

I wouldn't doubt its capability. If you want, just hit the dsm forums and you will see how they actually perform in the hands of the end users. I've seen some verrrryy fast street cars running T04B compressor and "old" wheels..... don't believe the hype.