Engineering.

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Engineering.

Post by MR Bender »

I would like to know what and how people have gone about doing this.
eg: twincam swap,gearbox ,brakes etc.

since we use the stock starion mounts do we need to do this?

Glen

:beer
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

well if u use the starion block it's a head swap not an engine conversion ;)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

he used a vr4 motor... but since the engine code is the same, is it really considered an engine conversion? :P
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

i always thought cause the engine code still starts with a 4g63 code no one would know the difference.

and really no one would have any idea what gearbox your running/meant to be running and probably the same with the brakes too...
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

one thing i never quite understood.. if your car is a street only driven car, why do engineers often require that the brakes be upgraded when the engine's power is upped?

I mean.. the way I see it, since the maximum speed you ever reach on the roads is meant to be 110, shouldn't the brake size be more related to the weight of the vehicle than that power of the engine? Regardless of what how quickly you can accelerate, assuming you're obeying the law and sticking to the speed limits, the stock brakes should be functioning fine on the street, unless you've swapped out a 100 kg engine for a 300kg engine or something, and hence drastically increased the weight of the car?

On the track, obviously is a completely different can of worms.. but on the road, i don't think it makes sense to require bigger brakes when engine power is upped, as i don't think it improves safety.. any comments? Something I'm overlooking perhaps?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

thrash wrote:one thing i never quite understood.. if your car is a street only driven car, why do engineers often require that the brakes be upgraded when the engine's power is upped?

I mean.. the way I see it, since the maximum speed you ever reach on the roads is meant to be 110, shouldn't the brake size be more related to the weight of the vehicle than that power of the engine? Regardless of what how quickly you can accelerate, assuming you're obeying the law and sticking to the speed limits, the stock brakes should be functioning fine on the street, unless you've swapped out a 100 kg engine for a 300kg engine or something, and hence drastically increased the weight of the car?

On the track, obviously is a completely different can of worms.. but on the road, i don't think it makes sense to require bigger brakes when engine power is upped, as i don't think it improves safety.. any comments? Something I'm overlooking perhaps?
I tend to agree with you on this one thrash...I think the guidelines/rules are from the dark ages where increasing your power was pretty much always done by increasing your displacement, e.g a bigger (heavier) engine.

In this day and age of turbo and superchargers, and alloy blocks and heads, it's not as relevant because you can massively increase your power without any increase in weight (and sometimes a decrease depending on the swap!).

I guess the other side of it is that if a car has been given more capability then it's more likely to be getting exploited. We don't own turbo cars just to dawdle around, we will at times, use the power that it's got. Discretion on such use is the most important thing...but even so I can understand why such guidelines/rules still exist.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

It's just logical.

Why up the power on the car in the first place cansidering that all cars will do 110 kph?

The answer.. The person intends to drive the car harder and or faster than the manufacture intended.

Note: They don't always require it, it just depends on the mods.
1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

While you are limited to a top speed of 110 the additional power will allow you to get to that speed faster. Therefor you need more stopping power to reign in that additional energy you create acelerating faster.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

gotta disagree with you there RT.. By definition, accelaration is the rate of increase of the kinetic energy possessed by a given object.. in this case, the car.. however the kinetic energy possessed at any given speed is the same regardless of how quick the acceleration to that speed was.

Since we are still maxing out at 110 km/h, if the weight of the car remains the same, the amount of kinetic energy it possesses also remains the same. The car may have extra power in terms of hp ("potential" energy perhaps? lol), but the energy required to stop the vehicle from a given speed is the same regardless of the level of acceleration
quest wrote:
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

^ agree entirely :)

Are you a physicist thrash or do you just like to be controversial? :P
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

lol, i did some physics at uni like.. 9 years ago.. don't remember much by now.. lost too many brain cells :P
quest wrote:
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Dont need to be physicist...
A given mass at a given speed=velocity, no matter how fast it gets there.

BUT, you can get to this given speed in a shorter distans with added power... so you might need better stoppers!
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

so since the 4g63twincam motor bolts into the mounts and pretty much the same motor i will need a emission test for all the stuff sitting on the side of my motor!(turbo,cams,pod etc)

but i will still get my gearbox mount Engineered, as well as my coilovers and since i changed my brakes them too. then over the pits i go!

it should be all good since i have used all the stock mounting points for the gearbox and the stock engine mounts.
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

its more to do with the year your engine was manufactured and what applies top that year engine..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Maybe it is just me, but I see good reason for needing brake upgrades when you increase the power of a car.

Since you can accelerate much faster you give the brakes a lot less time to cool down between stops. Drive your car really hard on the road (even within the speed limit) and you will get the brakes hot, up the power and they will get even hotter.

I have substantially increased the power in a few cars (13B Turbo in an early RX7 for example) and driving with in the speed limit I could easily fry the brakes on the road (eventually cracked one of the front disks).