Ja Injector replacement update

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
vr4gone
I like starions more

Ja Injector replacement update

Post by vr4gone »

Ok I'll keep it simple. I was sick of my JA leaky injectors so I went out and got some Siemens 890cc Low impedence EV1 injectors, used a snap knife like a hot knife and cut almost all of the plastic crap off.Drilled some holes through the terminals, soldered and heat shrunk new wiring. Finally I used 4 suitable O rings for each injector. Did a pressure test and away it goes.
Done and done. No more bloody leaking injectors. Also installed a Bosch 044. Who said they are loud? Not mine.

Last edited by vr4gone on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Good work! Can you make this a more technical document for others to fix theirs, e.g. injector part number and where to buy from...?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

very nice! enginuity to the max!!

I do have one question.. i was under the impression that all or most older eom injectors were high impedence.. are the starion ones actually low impedence? If not, what did you do to prevent the circuits and 20 year old wires from burning up?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

Here we have the old inj above. I put vacuum hose over the terminals in the event that it might want to foul on the inner casing.

The reason why there are so many O rings on the new inj is because the shaft is long and I wanted to ensure when you put the inj cap on, it doesn't just push the seal down. I also used WD40 on the seals before I put it together. I'll do a further update later. Here is the link for the injectors.

This is what it should look like

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SIEMENS-890cc-LO ... 53de72d3fb
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

Hmm, this could be the cure for my leaky injectors. Would this work on a totally stock Starion?
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

well my starion is basically stock accept the intercooler and fuel pump so I don't see why not.
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

vr4gone wrote:well my starion is basically stock accept the intercooler and fuel pump so I don't see why not.
Great! So I get these injectors, modify them the way you did and that's all, or do I need to do some other changes too?
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Did you replace both, or just one, vr4gone?
And what does the "upper" side of the injector look like (fuel-inlet), bolts right back on?
No, I havn't had this apart yet, so I have no idea.... :D
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

Krorz wrote:
vr4gone wrote:well my starion is basically stock accept the intercooler and fuel pump so I don't see why not.
Great! So I get these injectors, modify them the way you did and that's all, or do I need to do some other changes too?
* Take your time doing this. There is no need to rush it.
* Don't use light gauge wire, use medium.
* Use 4 or more O rings on each injector & make sure they're fuel resistant.
* Replace all other O rings at the same time.
* Make sure none of the wires foul on the inside of the housing
because this will cause the injector to open when you turn the ignition
on and,
1. fill your inlet manifold with fuel if your pump runs independant
from your ECU
2. possibly burn out your injector or resistor pack.
* I used vacuum hose over my soldered connections as an added
protective measure.
* Use WD40 on the O rings when you're fitting it back together

I don't have any fuel problems now but you may have to mess around with your fuel pressure depending on what condition your pump is and filters are. If you run an O2 sensor you can double check your A/F ratio remembering
12:1 or less is rich
14:1 is optimum
16:1 or more is lean (detonation)
Last edited by vr4gone on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

fugazi wrote:Did you replace both, or just one, vr4gone?
And what does the "upper" side of the injector look like (fuel-inlet), bolts right back on?
No, I havn't had this apart yet, so I have no idea.... :D
I did both, just used a factory one to show the difference in the picture.

I'm not sure what you mean but it all bolts back together with the new injectors housed firmly.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

vr4gone wrote:If you run an O2 sensor you can double check your A/F ratio remembering that under power:
11:1 or less is rich
12:1 is optimum
13:1 or more is lean (detonation)

FIXED!

under cruise conditions 14-15:1 is ideal, generally idle will be 13 to 14:1
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

Thanks for the information. As soon as I have some money to experiment I'll try it. I'm in no hurry, I have to do a lot of other things too.
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

Hi vr4gone,

Sorry to dig up a old post but i was doing a bit of reading on injector replacements and found this post, was wondering a month or so on after the change how are you finding the new injectors? any updates on how they are holding up in regards to fouling? are the vacuum hoses keeping the terminals nice and safe?
any tuning problems later down the track after the mod? EG: is she running lean,rich or spot on?
Any complaints from the ECU?

Curious about work arounds and long term fixs for injectors on the JA got a feeling i might have a bung set in mine that are playing up a little and this depending on how she is holding up after a bit of use this looks like a really good alternative to hunting down another set of "past there use by date" second hand injectors.

Regards

Johnny
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

Johnyturbo wrote:Hi vr4gone,

Sorry to dig up a old post but i was doing a bit of reading on injector replacements and found this post, was wondering a month or so on after the change how are you finding the new injectors? any updates on how they are holding up in regards to fouling? are the vacuum hoses keeping the terminals nice and safe?
any tuning problems later down the track after the mod? EG: is she running lean,rich or spot on?
Any complaints from the ECU?

Curious about work arounds and long term fixs for injectors on the JA got a feeling i might have a bung set in mine that are playing up a little and this depending on how she is holding up after a bit of use this looks like a really good alternative to hunting down another set of "past there use by date" second hand injectors.

Regards

Johnny
Hey, you stole my post :D I just wanted to post something very similar to this :)

Anyway, my fellow clubmates from the Hungarian Starionclub helped me out with working(at the moment) Starion injectors, but that's not a long term solution.
Vr4gone, we would really appreciate if you could tell us how things are working out with these Siemens injectors.
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

Krorz wrote:
Hey, you stole my post :D I just wanted to post something very similar to this :)

Anyway, my fellow clubmates from the Hungarian Starionclub helped me out with working(at the moment) Starion injectors, but that's not a long term solution.
Vr4gone, we would really appreciate if you could tell us how things are working out with these Siemens injectors.
Sorry Kronz,

dident mean to steal your thunder :D i wonder where VR4 is, hopefully his not to far away im keen as you are to find out how this one paned out :D