JA warm start problem

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

JA warm start problem

Post by someguy »

Hi, I seem to have a problem with starting my Starion.
It used to start 1st time every time, then for some reason it didn't like cold starting. My mechanic is pretty good but this is the only Starion he has ever done.

He played with the cold start/idle pick up thing(under/behind the 'ECI'),
& it started, idled high (around 1100rpm) till it was warm & was starting & driving fine.
He also adjusted the mixtures as it was running a bit rich.
Then, it would hesitate/(shudder?) when you lift off & coast along downhill.

Now it doesn't like starting warm. I can start it cold & drive it to the shops fine, but when I go to start it again, nope. Just cranking, cranking...

Last time I sat in the carpark till it cooled down a bit & managed to get it to splutter to life by holding the accelerator down & feathering the pedal untill it cleared itself up.

It's becoming frustrating as it doesn't do it all the time & my once fun & reliable Starion is letting me down :(
Any thoughts would be appreciated, & the car is totally stock.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Check the resistance of the fuel injectors cold and when you have the problem starting. Just disconnect the 4 wire plug and measure each pair (you'll get it after 4 tries) You may need a screwdriver to get the connector apart the first time, wedge it in to the lock thingy...not pry them apart.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Sounds like your injectors could be leaking. Next time you try a warm start, disconnect the injector wiring connector (as per Alspos post above). If it starts after a brief splutter, runs for a few seconds and then stops, your injectors are leaky.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yep X2 it has JA-itis (leaky injectors)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by someguy »

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info guys, I'll get 'em checked out
:)
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

can you ask the mechanic how he adjusted the mixture?
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by someguy »

Hopefully I can get it back there this week. If the injectors are leaking, do I need to get new/other/2nd hand ones or can I service/clean mine?

Yeah I can mate, pretty sure there are a couple of screws on the side of the eci...