intercoolers...

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Defective
Enthusiast

intercoolers...

Post by Defective »

whats involved in fitting an intercooler to a 'ja'? is there an ideal size to use? or just bigger is better...
oz, here i come....
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

intercoolers differ in designand flow charecteristics, bascially, if u go too big (like say a GTR cooler) on an otherwise stock setup u will find a possibly large increase in lag. so when getting an intercooler cosider:

1.) what sort of turbo u wish to run (might as well plan ahead)
2.) if your internals are going to stand up to a large amount of boost down the line (if thats what u want).

Something small like a supra cooler or even a starion cooler will let u boost an otherwise stock starion to around 1 bar (14psi).
---------
TVR T350C
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

dude, you must be psychic.... i got offered a gtr 'cooler for $700 today, thats why i was asking...

how about a VR-4 or evo sized one, they seem to be pretty affordable... is it just pipework needed to fit one? dont have to change anything else?
oz, here i come....
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Get the biggest intercooler you can afford and/or fit. The increase in lag will be negligable (you won't even notice it) but the gains in cooling ability and the benefits of more scope for mods in the future will make it a worthwhile investment.
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

gtr coolers are ok, but I wouldnt pay $700 for one, not saying that isnt a bad price but you CAN get intercoolers cheaper then that.. www.modyourcar.com is currently involved in an intercooler price war with a few other companies, u'll find one new, a good size and cheaper there.
---------
TVR T350C
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

those are bar n plate and new so yeah, I would forget about the gtr ones cause they're old, ungaurenteed, only tube and fin plus ridiculously overpriced for a second hand intercooler eg GTR badge add 100% to cost price :roll:
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

thanks guys...
another austarion member has offered me an intercooler so i could be in business...
oz, here i come....
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I concur, go for the largest cooler that you can fit/afford so that you have enough scope for future mods to the engine.

The modyourcar.com 600 x 300 x75 intercooler is dirt cheap for a brand new cooler ($419?). very similar coolers were selling for up to $800 last year.

Don't worry about any apparent increase in lag as it will be negligible as Cookie stated.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

I might be abit nieve here, but..

1) JA starions never had intercoolers, so adding one would increase the lag tonnes, seeing all the extra distance over stock (like 40cm)

and

2) the only reason you can crank the stock JA engine to 1 Bar is because with all the extra bends in the turbo piping make less boost actually get to the intake. You loose 25% of pressure every bend you put in a piece of air piping.
1983 JA Staz
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Gutter _rat, i'd check that info... If i have 4 90deg bands in my piping im not going to get any pressure in my intake manifold? BS i says.
Connecting two boost gauges to my old car, one on the compressor outlet, one at and intake manifold showed a 3psi drop over the entire system... this is factory starion intercooler and piping, which has more than 4 bends.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Gutter_Rat wrote:I might be abit nieve here, but..

1) JA starions never had intercoolers, so adding one would increase the lag tonnes, seeing all the extra distance over stock (like 40cm)
Well lets have a look at what the turbocharger is doing. Lets be very conservative and say that our lowly TC-06 turbocharger flows at 300cfm. Thats 300 cubic feet of air per minute. Thats 5 cubic feet per second.

Now lets say we have a 600x300x75mm intercooler. This is a large intercooler. This has a volume of 13500 cubic centremeters which is 0.476748 cubic feet. Lets double that volume to take into account the intercooler plumbing and the intake manifold. So we have about 1 cubic feet of intercooler/pipes/intake.

The little TC-06 with it's conservative 300cfm will be able to fill that volume in 1/5 second. 0.2 seconds. You won't notice it.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

rofl

So a 430 x 260 x 130 = 14534 cm^3 = 0.47686054 ft^3

Now the question is how do we translate 0.2 sec into the new rpm point of boost ?
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

hahah funny buggers.

Its just from knowing air compressors, you lose alot of pressure with the piping you put into buildings, why do you know people use flexable and spiral hose?

Its not losing air, its losing speed of air, is slows the air's speed down.

I never said you wont get boost, im just trying to think about it and i came to the conclusion in my head, compressed air principles are the same, so you lose pressure (not volume, both are different) so you lose the speed of the air.

I may well just be ranting BS but a 90 degree bend means that you are hitting bends, and hitting things slows you down... i know that too well... DAMN GUTTERS!!!
1983 JA Staz
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

i have fitted a 600x300x76 cooler, it an adrad core, paid 800 for it to be made to suit the staz...419 is a wild price me reckons

my car goes alright to me, there isnt that much lag, an i have very long i/c pipes...so i agree with cookie an nxtime, if you have plans to fit a bigger turbo etc go with a large core, if u plan to keep it stock just want to cool it down a bit i reckon something like a vr4 will be good...
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Prozac already covered the pressure Q, 3psi drop on stock piping n intercooler.