L300 Multi

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Ashgan
I like starions more

L300 Multi

Post by Ashgan »

Ok guys, Panda was kind enough to drop round last night with his L300 manifold and has left it with me to consider it. If i'm gonna MPI my starion with this, i'm gonna need a set of injectors and a new comp, right?

So my question is what injectors do i need and what comp should i get? Also how much is tuning going to set me back and finally is the L300 manifold easy enough to run intercooled?

If anyone has the bits required for me to finish the conversion shoot me a PM!

-Ash
Friends call me Ashgan or Ash... But you can call me failchanic. If there's a routine maintenance job that exists on a starion, then chances are i've failed at it.

First attempt fails include:
-Changing indicator light
-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Buy a set of second hand cleaned VR4 or Evo injectors, they will be plenty for a MPI setup on a budget build. They start at around 450cc of flow.

My basic MPI on my old Starion motor ran 262cc Hyundai injectors at 9psi un-intercooled and they were at 95% injector duty cycle. A previous owner set that up.

Depending how far you want to go with the MPI depends on the ECU, if you retain the factory ignition system you could run a fuel only ECU. With ECU its generally you get what you pay for. My car ran a LINK ecu and i found it great for a basic setup, was easy to learn and tune.

Tuning depends on the tuner, how much there is to setup in the ECU (fuel maps, ignition maps, fan control, boost control, warnings etc). If you already have someone in mind to tune the car ask them for ECU suggestions. Some places even sell ecu and tune all in one package.

Intercooling the L300 setup would be very similar to intercooling a standard TBI setup as the throttle body is in similar location. Just search on here for intercooler installs and look at pictures for ideas. There are a few threads.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I have evo injectors that will go in http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=11858
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Ashgan
I like starions more

Post by Ashgan »

Cheers.

-Ash
Friends call me Ashgan or Ash... But you can call me failchanic. If there's a routine maintenance job that exists on a starion, then chances are i've failed at it.

-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut
Ashgan
I like starions more

Post by Ashgan »

My friends well learned opinion is that getting any kind of tuning while keeping the stock turbo is a waste.

Any thoughts?

-Ash

-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut
smodgee
I like starions

Post by smodgee »

my mate had a l300 setup in a ex lancer,he had stock internals tc06 turbo, mild cam, front mount, falcon throttle body(i think, something bigger)vl fuel pump and a older v3 link, he was getting 220rwhp with standard l300 injectors and could only run 10pound boost as that was all the injectors could handle at about 94% duty cycle, he got clocked at 240km. i have been in that car and it goes well,
sohc 82 a182a rally-car,cam, mpi,vf8 turbo,v5 link,ross pistons, gsr injectors, Bosch 909 fp, nearly ready for dyno, if all calculations are right 190rwkw, hopefully :)
sohc 82 a183a rally-car, standard besides balance shafts removed,no airflow meter, lsd, 1080kg
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Ashgan wrote:My friends well learned opinion is that getting any kind of tuning while keeping the stock turbo is a waste.

Any thoughts?

-Ash
your friend's "well learned" opinion is coming out of his (or her) arse, because if you mpi it and run the mpi with an aftermarket ecu, you will need to get the aftermarket ecu tuned for the car to even run at all. upgrading the turbo will most likely require a retune to adjust fuel and ignition for the (hopefully) larger air quantity to the engine.

So.. if you are definately planning to upgrade the turbo and want to save on the retune, then yes, do the mpi and turbo upgrade all in one hit.. but that one hit will be an expensive one eh..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

As thrash stated if you plan on doing a turbo upgrade you will save on having to tune it more than once as well saving on having to redo the cooler piping as well. If the turbo upgrade is a far way down the track there are still benefits to going mpi combined with a cooler and exhaust upgrade and boost increase using the stock turbo.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Ashgan
I like starions more

Post by Ashgan »

thrash wrote: your friend's "well learned" opinion is coming out of his (or her) arse, because if you mpi it and run the mpi with an aftermarket ecu, you will need to get the aftermarket ecu tuned for the car to even run at all.
That's his point - he's saying that because converting the starion to MPI will require tuning it's not worth doing with regards to the benefits of MPI alone.

And i don't mean to start a flame war, but i resent you saying that he's talking out of his arse. He doesn't know starion's specifically but he is by far the man with the most engine oil on his hands that i've ever met and has owned and worked on more classic pre-90's Jap cars then you could dream about.

-Ash

-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

From memory a standard JA/JB type Starion makes around 90-100kw at the wheels on a dyno whereas some fitted with MPI and aftermarket ecu have made up around 150kw at the wheels using the standard turbo.

The beauty of using an aftermarket ecu is you can really nail down the ignition timing, the standard Starion timing is dependant on a mechanical governor and the diaphragm in the distributor. Also it allows you to change your setup at any time and get it retuned to suit.
Ashgan
I like starions more

Post by Ashgan »

150kw at the wheels... I could live with that...

-Ash

-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i apologise. The first way you explained what he said is completely wrong, and doesn't sound like something that would come from someone who is knowledgeable. your second attempt at explaining what he said makes more sense.

From what i understand, as per redzone, type one (JA) injection will inevitably fail, and so once your type one injection fails or is leaking horribly, it's worth going mpi instead of hunting down another type one injection system, or rebuilding yours. If you have a type two manifold, and don't plan on majorly increasing the power of the car, then there's nothing really that wrong with the tbi, and it may not be worth the spend on doing the mpi.

So.. if your friend reckons it's not worth doing mpi unless you're going to upgrade the turbo, he's right if there is nothing currently wrong with your current injection system. But I stick by what I said about "getting any kind of tuning with the stock turbo is a waste" being utter crap if you actually do NEED to do mpi. if you do mpi, you will not have a running car unless you tune it properly.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

MPI on a stock motor is still alot better then a stock tbi motor.
Car runs smoother.

When i went to Melbourne in 06 i seen a few MPI Starions with highflowed stock turbos and they were awesome on the street, super reponsive, didnt need to rev out to come onto boost and perfect for the street.

They had
-L300 intake
-highflow turbo
-Exhaust
-Ecu
-Intercooler

Im hoping my brother takes the same route with his car as it would make a nice street car.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i will be doing much the same eventually.. but with a sonata manifold most likely.. and perhaps a nice cam..

on a side note, is it worth doing it with an ems dual sport ecu from 1998? I was just thinking i'll save up a bit more and buy a decent (modern) ecu instead of using the ancient dual sport that I have..
quest wrote:
Ashgan
I like starions more

Post by Ashgan »

thrash wrote:i will be doing much the same eventually.. but with a sonata manifold most likely.. and perhaps a nice cam..
Yeah a decent cam to go with it would be awesome, i could potentially crank out the tuning for the cam at the same time as the MPI which would make it alot more worth my while i think.

-Ash

-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut