Rough as Guts

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Cel Stowers
[L] Plates

Rough as Guts

Post by Cel Stowers »

Guys, need to know if anyone can help. Running a Type A injection set up on a JA, it's idling way too high after start-up and is running rough and rich and then, won't hold an idle. Not sure if I've got everything hooked up properly as I don't have any workshop manuals. The engine, loom, and ecu are each from different cars so I have extra or missing wiring. I will end up running multi-point eventually but I just want to get the car on the road for now. Was hoping to trouble-shoot it myself before parting with some hard-earned and sending it to a pro. Any suggestions apart from the obvious?
Doing something good is like urinating in a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling but no one notices
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Sounds like the Air Flow Meter...
Have you got a spare to test?
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

It could also be the MAP sensor, or a leak in the vac lines.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

JPC wrote:It could also be the MAP sensor, or a leak in the vac lines.
Quite true. Knowing Starions, it's probably all of the above...

The easiest way to tell if it's the MAP sensor, is to see if the boost gauge is going crazy. As in; does it flick from full boost to full vacuum, even if the car isn't running with the key in the 'ON' position?
To diagnose leaks, a stethoscope is a handy tool...
Cel Stowers
[L] Plates

Rough as Guts

Post by Cel Stowers »

OK, swapped AFM's with a spare I had but no change. The boost gauge reads normal with the ignition key in the 'on' position so I assume the pressure sensor is normal. There are a bunch of missing vacuum lines from the manifold and vacuum unit from the dizzy so I need to hook the important ones up. I've only got a few photocopied pages from a workshop manual but I'd appreciate it if anyone has an electronic/scanned copy of the complete workshop manual to figure out which ones go where.
Doing something good is like urinating in a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling but no one notices
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

a staz will run for quite a while with no AFM ;)
MAP sensor issues will cause the car to start but not idle or keep running
or the car will idle but if you move accelerator it will choke it and conk out

for the vacuum hoses there is a pic on the site somewhere that will show you the bare essentiials needed to keep a staz running
Cel Stowers
[L] Plates

Rough as guts

Post by Cel Stowers »

OK, all sorted. Turns out the problem was timing. Since I decided to put the type 'A' Injection set-up on the later engine to get it going, I used the Type 'A' dizzy. I figured out I had to use the Type 'B' distributor as they are both different. Running really well now but seems to be idling too high. Any suggestions?