torque tube woes

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

torque tube woes

Post by Vulpes »

are there any known issues with the torque tubes ? Mine sounds a bit raspy ? dry ? when I turn it. Might knock one off one of my spare cars ?
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

The bearings are easy enough to replace. Just take a sample down to a bearing suppliers.
The most common problem with torque tubes is the 'socket' and pinion gear wear. No fix other than to replace with an increasingly hard-to-find 2nd hand replacement.
Replace the pinion oil seal while you have it apart.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

thanks a lot. cheers.
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

Have the same prob with mine ...clunks on gear changes etc been like it for 6,000 kms now.
Doesnt seem serious enough to fix...as with with MrBishi - they reckon you refill the torque tube , inspect for wear or something ...leave it to the experts.Redzone says he's done a few
Cheers
ngats
[L] Plates

Torque tube noise..Has anyone fixed it properly

Post by ngats »

Yeah think where up for a new gear?? maybe a weld and machine might work?? packed grease in the cup before refit using the bolts to apply the pressure on the grease fixes the prob for about 3 to 4 weeks then the noise comes back.. thought of putting a grease nipple and packing it right up but would prob loose horses..
82JA Starion,17in ROH 3 piece Rims Multipoint,MicrotechLTX8,AR .50 Garrett..3in Stanless exhaust 2.5in Intercooler 700cc injectors Wet Nitros Injected..LOVE IT :-)
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Re: Torque tube noise..Has anyone fixed it properly

Post by MrBishi »

ngats wrote:Yeah think where up for a new gear?? maybe a weld and machine might work?? packed grease in the cup before refit using the bolts to apply the pressure on the grease fixes the prob for about 3 to 4 weeks then the noise comes back.. thought of putting a grease nipple and packing it right up but would prob loose horses..
There should be a weep hole at the top? It's not supposed to be full of grease AFAIK.
I had no luck getting new gears out of Japan, but maybe try Preston motors to see what they can dig up.
The best bet would be take the bits to your local speedway/hotrod/performance MACHINE shop. They should be able to conjure up a hybrid gear and shaft, but not necessarily use the same spline count and size as factory starion (ie use whatever spline cutter they have available)
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

had very similar sound under car when off throttle (rattle sound) and was hidious,

ended up being U-joints on main driveshaft, despite the torque turbo making sounds when turning.

no more sound! give that a whirl
ngats
[L] Plates

Post by ngats »

what u joint on what shaft are we talking?
82JA Starion,17in ROH 3 piece Rims Multipoint,MicrotechLTX8,AR .50 Garrett..3in Stanless exhaust 2.5in Intercooler 700cc injectors Wet Nitros Injected..LOVE IT :-)
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

He means the universal joint.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.