HELP! I miss driving my starion :(

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

HELP! I miss driving my starion :(

Post by thrash »

ok, so i handed my car to a nearby (incompetent) mechanic to do a major service on, since it'd done 210k kms. I know i could have and should have done it myself, but i had little time on my hands then, and i figure what takes me 6 hours will take a mechanic 1.

after a whole lot of pushing and prodding, a month later i get my car back, but not running (it was driving fine when i handed over the keys).

the so called mechanic has told me that he had issues with the timing, as the marks didn't look like they lined up, so he put chalk marks on all the gears and kept them aligned that way when chanign the belt - he did not recalibrate the timing. I even gave him redzone's number and ask him to give redzone a call if he couldn't figure it out, but he decided he didn't want to make the effort.

other things he did was change the water pump, and he also said that the bolts holding the turbo to the manifold were a bit loose, so he tightened them up.

so what my car is doing now is that i can start it, but it's continually on the verge of dying. if i pump the gas, it will stall and die.. if i very gradually push my foot to the floor, it'll continue to idle, but only just.. revs don't get any higher than 1000 rpm despite my foot being on the floor.

once it's a bit warmer (i.e. after 5 to 10 minutes of idling), the revs will actually start to climb, and it can sort of be driven..

so, i can think of 3 things..

1. either the injectors/intake have completely shat themselves (could it also be the fuel pump?), as they were already leaking quite badly before or..

2. the timing just needs to be adjusted/corrected - i'm thinking this is not the case because it shouldn't work better when it's warm right? or..

3. the mechanic disconnected something important and forgot to reconnect it.. i've checked the vauum lines etc, but i have bad eyes, so chances are extremely high that i've missed somethign simple..

So... any ideas? if it helps, on the way home (yes, i didn't have a choice but to drive it home.. luckily just a 3km trip), i noticed the car seemed to be overboosting, as if the wastegate wasn't opening.. but there didn't seem to be any disconnected or loosely connected vacuum lines near the turbo..

any help would be much appreciated. thansk in advance guys!
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

I'd check the timing, 'warming up' is pointing to that possibly? What an imbecile.
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

I would say its definately cam timing
Ashgan
I like starions more

Post by Ashgan »

Man what a nightmare... This isn't the only horror story i've heard of mechanics fking up starions... (my current boss had a Staz, took it in for a routine service, he got it back and after the drive home with it sounding/feeling weird he went inside only to come back out several minutes later to find it on fire.)

I'm soo afraid something like this will happen to me, mine is coming up on 210 and i'm mechanically inept, so i'm def. gonna have to get a mechanic to do my shit.

:(

I feel for you man, it's like someone putting your girlfriend in a wheel chair.

-Ash
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

i recently changed a few parts on the JA and pulled the distributor out too far. Thought I had it timed right but couldnt get it. Got an auto elec to come sort it. He yimed the dizzy ok but told me its still running rough ? He didnt bother to check the plug leads, they werent on the right plugs :roll:
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

check your afm and map sensor ;) then get the timing right

my 2 cents
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

man what a wanker. doing a cambelt on one of these is IDENTICAL to doing one on a 80's L300, which he's probably done a million times, if he's actually a real mechanic..

step one - check cam timing

step two - check injectors to see if they're dribbling

step three - ???

step four - profit
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Where abouts in sydney are you? I may be able to have a quick look
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Thrash,

Take Adrian up on his offer of help and do whatever you can to make it happen - even if you have to tow the bloody car to him. :wink:

It will be the best investment of time in your life. (Interpret that as Adrian really knows his shit ) :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Thanks heaps Adriano, I'm up in North Ryde (between epping and chatswood).

I've got tomorrow off so i will spend all day trying to figure this out.. perhaps try to get the timing sorted.

if i make a mess of it, or if i still don't manage to figure out what's wrong, i'll happily tow it to you if that'd make it easier for you :)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Astron Boy
I like starions

Post by Astron Boy »

If I knew anything about Starions or mechanics LOL I'd come and help you, you're only 15mins from me.
1995 Mercedes C180 Elegance, AMG Pack.
1989 Magna Wagon Turbo.
1997 FTO GPX.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

lol, that's not saying much.. in 15 minutes i can make it to parramatta in the west, hornsby in the north, north sydney to the east, and lidcombe to the south :P

where are you located?
quest wrote:
Astron Boy
I like starions

Post by Astron Boy »

Inner West near Balmain.
1989 Magna Wagon Turbo.
1997 FTO GPX.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ahh cool cool, hope to see you at the next sydney meet/cruise!
quest wrote:
Astron Boy
I like starions

Post by Astron Boy »

Sadly a little way off getting my Staz :cry:

Any news?
1989 Magna Wagon Turbo.
1997 FTO GPX.