exhaust manifolds question

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

exhaust manifolds question

Post by MR Bender »

In the middle of making a exhaust manifold just want to ask how/where people mount the ext gate? does it have to been so it has all 4 cyl gases there or can it come of just one cyl pipe?

let me know your ideas!

:beer
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Re: exhaust manifolds question

Post by OLD FART »

MR Bender wrote:In the middle of making a exhaust manifold just want to ask how/where people mount the ext gate? does it have to been so it has all 4 cyl gases there or can it come of just one cyl pipe?

let me know your ideas!

It most definately needs to have access to all manifold runners so IMHO THE W/GATE SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF WHERE ALL OF THEM MERGE/MEET
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

i would guess closer to the turbo flange the better
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

My manifold and a lot of others I have seen, have had all 4 runners running into a merge collector, and the external gate runs off that merge collector as well so that it gets the constant pressure the turbo is getting.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

i have seen people mounting wastegates off the turbo to by welding it to the exhaust housing, i beleive its an option if u get a manifold from 6boost
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

WidebodyWoody wrote:My manifold and a lot of others I have seen, have had all 4 runners running into a merge collector, and the external gate runs off that merge collector as well so that it gets the constant pressure the turbo is getting.
yer thats what i had in mind!
you dont want to post a pic for me ?
just need to see some pic

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I have seen it off the turbo housing too, only problem with that is if you want to change the turbo, you have no external gate. But it does mean you can change to and from external internal turbos without changing manifolds.

I will try and take a pic later today for you when I get home. I hope I can get a photo without removing it all.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

MR Bender wrote:In the middle of making a exhaust manifold just want to ask how/where people mount the ext gate? does it have to been so it has all 4 cyl gases there or can it come of just one cyl pipe?

let me know your ideas!

Make me one! :)
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

NachoMan wrote:

let me know your ideas!

Make me one! :)
ok :P

NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Cool!
Bear in mind that I'm replacing a split pulse DASH manifold...
:wink:
Hahaha
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Its basically impossible to make an aftermarket maniflod to replace the stocker and keep the turbo in the stock location.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Adriano wrote:Its basically impossible to make an aftermarket maniflod to replace the stocker and keep the turbo in the stock location.
Then I must be seeing things when I pop the bonnet and look at my GT3076 :D
Nothing is impossible to a skilled fabricator :)
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

also it doesnt really matter if the turbo is not in the stock position cause if ur going to a different turbo that needs a different manifold ull need to be changing multipule other things such as dump pipe/wastegate (if its externally gated)/etc..
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

My GT35 is in the stock position too. Although with my next steps, I am moving it forward out of the way a little to give more room.

My turbo is in stock location with the external gate mounted underneath it neatly. You get someone who knows what they are doing and they can make it fit.
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

I ndont think you understood my point, you cant make one to mount the stock turbo in the same position, including the same exhaust housing clockiing.