Power steering Question

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Power steering Question

Post by Vulpes »

Drove the Ja up the drive thsi evening and the power steering belt seized ( bolt on pulley wasnt tight ) I had to cut the belt off as it was making a terrible noise and smoke ! To my surprise the steering without PA wasnt bad. I need to take it to the exhaust place in the morning. Will it do any harm to drive it without PA ?

Cheers
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Nope - but how did it seize up?
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i've been driving without fluid in my power steering for almost a year now.. no other problems. i have all the gear to swap out so i don't even have to bother looking for the leak, but i just haven't bothered, as the starion is just so easy to drive, even without power steer.

parking is a bitch though, but i've gotten used to the extra effort for that too.

in comparison, i have test driven an s3 rx7 without power steer, and it SUCKED!! I thought the starion would be similar or worse, since the rx7 is a lighter car with the same sort of weight distribution..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

thanks guys, yes it surprised me how easy the steering was. most cars you cant even move.
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

yeah ive driven mine without poweer steering fluid and it wasnt too bad (and ive got 235's on the front) but it did make all sorts of funny noises...
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
XJ Jeep Cherokee (5" lift, muddies, lockers etc)
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I snapped my belt once, it was tough, but you can still drive fine.