Next advancement in engine design?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Next advancement in engine design?

Post by thrash »

over the past couple of decades, we've seen much advancement in internal combustion engine technology.. carburetors have given way to efi.. we had the pushrod engines, and the smarter people moved to ohc and then to dohc, and now mechanical variable valve timing..

i was thinking.. the next big step in automotive engine design would be complete removal of the camshafts and replacement with electronically actuated valves.. maybe something like valves opened by solenoids getting a signal from a hall effect sensor or something similar on the crank? or just a crank angle sensor i suppose?

this would effectively reduce the size and weight of the valvetrain, increase the number of mechanics that suffer headaches, and, with more research, it would eventually give rise to the replacement of mechanical vvt with infinately variable electronic valve timing.. i shall call it ivvt :D

I'm not a mechanical engineer or anything.. but this is what i would think the next big step would be.. what do you guys think? potential issues? I believe it's not a new idea.. anyone know why it hasn't been implemented yet? or anyone know of any vehicles that already use it?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Formula 1 cars do/did use this technique, Using actuators to open and close the valves. There is also a article about it on Autospeed.com

Not a new idea.
Whats holding it back is longetivity of the actuators and cost.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
wa_greg
Dorifto!

Post by wa_greg »

yep thats true i think BMW was playing around with it also for road cars but as u said the actuators cost and durability
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

The next big thing could have been rotary valves had fia not banned it. Mrb1 posted this about a year ago.
http://home.people.net.au/~mrbdesign/PD ... echBRV.pdf
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

believe it or not there was a rotary valve head made for the holden grey motor in the late 50's (dunstan)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

redzone wrote:believe it or not there was a rotary valve head made for the holden grey motor in the late 50's (dunstan)
That was waaaay b 4 u were born Dave but I can remember seeing it in action when they used to have speedboat races on the Milton to Toowong reach of the Brisbane river .T he motor was in a hydroplane named Hepcat & it always had a battle with a monohull powered with a Jaguar engine if my memory serves me correctly :
The Yanks have a rotary valve head but I can;t remember the name :oops: must be loosing my short time memory LOL
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

it's a shame that rotary valves were banned by the FIA.. seem like a really great idea.. did the FIA give an 'official' reason for the ban?

regardless, such an idea should have been researched and developed for road use anyway.. why wasn't it? anyone know?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i remember an article on "towards 2000" about a rotary valve engine when i was about 10 years old (1987), so someone was giving it a shot back then...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

i'm a little cranky today but ...

/start conspiracy theory

FIA couldn't allow established motor building firms to have to keep up withand compete with new technology.. that'd be like expecting ford and holden to do more to compete against the nissan skyline. much easier to ban it and keep the "good ol' boys" happy..

/end conspiracy theory
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Reason Fia banned it was those who were in a position to influence FIA didnt have the technology.

RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Rotary valves have been around for a long time, since the early 1900's, theres a website with abit of history on them http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/P ... IC.htm#now.

Had it not been banned and it was sucessful then there would have always been a chance that later on the technology will filter down to the general plublic. The difference between someone like holden doing it and f1 doing it is budgets and less emphasis on returns on investments.

WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Rice Thief wrote:
Reason Fia banned it was those who were in a position to influence FIA didnt have the technology.
Spot on and according to MRB it was Renault that lobbied the hardest.

Oldie wrote:
I can remember seeing it in action when they used to have speedboat races on the Milton to Toowong reach of the Brisbane river .T he motor was in a hydroplane named Hepcat & it always had a battle with a monohull powered with a Jaguar engine if my memory serves me correctly

LOL - Rad, seeing as we are "remembering", what was it like watching Stonehenge being built :D
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.