evo4+ motor into starion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

evo4+ motor into starion

Post by thrash »

For those of you who follow drifting (i don't really.. looks like fun.. but i find the scoring method a bit silly and too similar to feminine sports like ballet and gymnastics..), you will most likely know about the Team Orange Evo IX that has been converted to have a north-south mounted late model 4g63..

So I'm thinking.. if it's been done in an evo, what's to stop people from doing it in a staz more frequently? If my memory serves me, and most of the time it doesn't, one of the major dilemmas for this was actually finding a rwd gearbox that would fit.. and I haven't been successful in finding info on the gearbox used in the Team Orange car.. yet..

So.... someone with connections in Japan could possibly coax JUN auto into perhaps making some money off starion owners by making a kit from their R&D on that Evo for this kind of project? :D

I know I'm a dreamer.. always have been.. always will be.. but this doesn't seem like it's that far fetched a possibility to me..

What are your thoughts guys?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

WITHOUT DREAMERS WHERE WOULD WE BE ?????????????
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

From memory it's an SR20DET 5 speed with a custom gearset, I remember reading about it. Although I'll try and find the article, the motor was set so far back into the fire wall as well.
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Re: evo4+ motor into starion

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

thrash wrote:So I'm thinking.. if it's been done in an evo, what's to stop people from doing it in a staz more frequently?
Money
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Anything is possible.
Most sane people baulk at the idea of spending cubic $$ on a relatively unpopular, 80s styled hatchback.

Puchasing an evo 4+ motor, adapting to a strong gearbox of choice, making engine mounts, modifying/fabricating manifolds, re-routing exhaust (this just for starters) all adds up to serious dollars even if you can do all the work yourself. Are you willing to spend it on a car you paid $5000(?) for?

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those not-so-sane people that has little hesitation in spending dollars on my nugget, & I'd love to see more crazy conversions. These are the facts as to why it does not happen more often.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

I found this... this is the car your talking about early on....
It has a GTR rear diff and a hollinger box which I'm sure reading it was from a SR20 adapted to fit.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

FST4RD wrote:

I found this... this is the car your talking about early on....
It has a GTR rear diff and a hollinger box which I'm sure reading it was from a SR20 adapted to fit.
yea thats the story with the gbox as far as im aware

gbox worth more than a staz LOL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

that's why i mentioned JUN making a kit would be nice.. i don't think it would cost them too much to come up with a kit since a lot of the R&D is already completed.. they can just offer it up and if there is interest, they make one when people put down money :beer

someone with connections just need to coax them into doing it.. :D

And since when do SR20s have hollingers behind them? :shock:
Anyway, maybe not a hollinger, since that sort of strength isn't needed for the street.. i'm sure they could do it for a cheaper gearbox too without too much hassle..

a 'kit' would make things cheaper, despite it still costing a fair bit..

I believe Neil Philpott's car in the UK runs a late model evo motor.. if we get more nutjob cars like that one.. the starion's value might rise just as the ae86 did.. again.. dreaming here.. i know it will never rise haha..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

thrash wrote: And since when do SR20s have hollingers behind them? :shock:
Anyway, maybe not a hollinger, since that sort of strength isn't needed for the street.. i'm sure they could do it for a cheaper gearbox too without too much hassle..
The Team Orange Evo is a proper competing D1 car putting out some big HP, thats why they are using a Hollinger. It's specifically built for a SR20 since they don't make an off the shelf item for the 4G63 and adapted to fit.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

It would easier to use a evo 1-3 engine, saves custom engine mounts, re-routing the exhaust.

I believe neil pilpott used only the head from a evo 4+ head not the block.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
4gpwr
I love starions

evo rwd

Post by 4gpwr »

To make a late 4g rwd kit would not be that hard , what ever gearbox , you fit behind it , if you are willing to make a investment in time , money , and research you could pretty much build the whole kit in your local industrial area .
If I was to take on the job , I would break it down to , adapter plates for gear box ect , manifolding , mountings , then cooling system which would have a few different schools of thought .
The quality of the cooling system conversion would separate it from other shit that people do .
I reckon my mates and I are going to come up with a killer cooling system conversion on my VR4 head starion block motor , I will be able to replicate it after I develop mine , Got a few good ideas , like no welding on the cylinder head and relocating the water outlets , still have a heater . And a air water separator . With no long radiator and heater hoses .
4Gs Rule
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

RiceThief wrote:It would easier to use a evo 1-3 engine, saves custom engine mounts, re-routing the exhaust.

I believe neil pilpott used only the head from a evo 4+ head not the block.
Yes, just the head. He even used the 8v for years, and the 16v is a relatively recent upgrade.
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

If he used an Evo4+ head then the exhaust would now be on the passenger's side.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

dirtygalant wrote:If he used an Evo4+ head then the exhaust would now be on the passenger's side.
Yep :D

Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Does anyone know what sort of coil-pack that is on the firewall ?
I'm looking for something similar.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser