Spring weights for widey

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Spring weights for widey

Post by MrBishi »

I'll be fitting some coilovers soon and like to hear your thoughts on what weight springs would be a good starting point? Car is driven on the street and I don't want something rock hard and uncomfortable.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

8K front 6K rear is a good compromise from what i hear. maybe a little softer for comfort..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I spoke to Wantsom as hey has been through a few sets with the track car. I believe for a street/track setup around 350lb in the front and 300 in the rear is a good compromise.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

I've got 9k in the front and 8k in the rear of my Eterna, which is of really similar weight balance and total weight of the Starion - and I do find the front a bit hard but the rear seems spot on or close to it anyway. On the track that rate worked just fine however with the current engine's speed I don't think I was pushing the suspension to its limit.

For road driving it does seem a bit uncomfortable, especially with lower profile stiff sidewall tyres.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

I'd like to know the following please:
Will the same rates work for narrow body stock struts GR2?
These are linear springs I take it
What is a K? i'm not familiar with this unit of measurement

Cheers
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

K = kg = kilograms
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

anyone got a kg to lb conversion ratio for spring rates?
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

redzone wrote:8K front 6K rear is a good compromise from what i hear. maybe a little softer for comfort..
S0LJAH wrote:anyone got a kg to lb conversion ratio for spring rates?
my guess its kg - mm some sort of strange metric thing prob should be measured in Newtons - being that newtons are the measurement for force in metric

however to give you the convertion 8 kg mm = ( 8 x 2.2 ) x ( 1 x 25.4 )
or 17.6 x 25.4 = 447 Lb inch

where as lb inch was the common way springs were measured to us old blokes

and 450 lb does sound a little furm I would guess that 350 - 375 would be on the money
with as said 300 rears

or (( 350/25.4 )/2.2)= 6.26 Kg - mm
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

www.18u wrote:I spoke to Wantsom as hey has been through a few sets with the track car. I believe for a street/track setup around 350lb in the front and 300 in the rear is a good compromise.
I will check my specs and when I have it on the road but that is very similar to mine
ukstariont3
I like starions

Post by ukstariont3 »

the group a tarmac rally car runs 330lb front, 300lb rear. but bear in mind the shell is quite a bit lighter than a widey. maybe 370/400lb font, 330lb rear??

Dave
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

RiceThief wrote:K = kg = kilograms
nope that would make 8k over 1760lb springs
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

cheaterparts wrote: however to give you the convertion 8 kg mm = ( 8 x 2.2 ) x ( 1 x 25.4 )
or 17.6 x 25.4 = 447 Lb inch
Starion_Turbo wrote:
RiceThief wrote:K = kg = kilograms
nope that would make 8k over 1760lb springs
one of us has failed at math
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

For what its worth - Cheater is on the money for calculations and his race set up experience would back up his comments.

My following comments need to be taken in context I am setting up for a dedicated track car running 50 series R rated tyres and some pretty aggressive front end geometry

I originally started at 250 rear and 280 front based on advice from suspension place. I found that way too soft so moved to 300 rears and 350 fronts. That was much better from a handling point of view but to remove some 'dive' under hard braking I moved to 400lb fronts which help cure the dive without compromising front end handling. The current combo is working fine on the track but would be way too stiff for street. I suggested to www18U that for a firm street ride 250-300 rear and 350 would be a good compromise given the slightly more weight of 4G54 motor up front. That combo would be a good trade off for normal street and some track work. At the end of the day you just have to experiment a little to find the right balance between handling/ride given whatever you use the car for.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

cheers guys that was the conversion factor i was using just confused as some were saying arould 300lb which is way different to 8-9kgmm