Strengthening a Starion gearbox?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Lummy
I love starions

Strengthening a Starion gearbox?

Post by Lummy »

Hi guys. I'm pretty new around here and also new to Starion parts. My car however is well known: I have Ashly's old Scorpion, the Improved Production car.

My problem is the gearbox. Ashly ripped 3rd gear out of one and I blew all but 4th gear out of another one recently.

I have another one in it now, but it's clearly a weak point for the car.

What are my options for ensuring this doesn't keep happening? Are there any after-market gearsets? Is a custom dog-box the only option?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lummy
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

hey mate good score on the car!

apparently 3rd gear is the big issue and the guy that used to run coltspeed said he got sick a breaking them so he machined the area out and added a way oversized bearing to third because it vibrates heavily under big loads.

anyway thats one theory.

if you have a twin cam a w58 supra gearbox can be adapted with a custom bell housing.

cheers
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

First of all congrats on buying such a nice car :D
The three things i could suggest would be:
1. Try the b2600 bellhousing and rx7 gearbox conversion,
2. Try and fit a late model pajero gearset with wider gears and bigger bearings.
3. Switch to a Supra 5 speed.

Im sure there will be more people who can help on here but they are the the first things that come to mind.

Goodluck.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

ox

Post by FST4RD »

I'd go the B2600 bell housing and RX7 series 4/5 box conversion.
Straight bolt up apart from the driveshaft from memory, although JAS knows way more about it, he's attempting it at the moment slowley!
Plus there's a few 10sec RX7's running the factory box...
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
MainstreaM
I've been here before

Post by MainstreaM »

Lots of good info on the mazda box here.

http://www.projectzerog.com/rx7transmissions.shtml

Kane
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I'm running the W58 box in the track car and not having any issues. Gearbox is rated to 300hp. The other plus wth the W58 is PPG make a close ratio gear set which gives you a 1:1 final drive. Expensive though at approx $8K for the gear set.

But who ever said racing was cheap LOL
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

has anyone on here actually put a late set of pajero internals into a gearbox?

and what sort of filthy price are we talking?
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

Lummy wrote: My problem is the gearbox. Ashly ripped 3rd gear out of one and I blew all but 4th gear out of another one recently.
I have another one in it now, but it's clearly a weak point for the car.
Lummy
the joys of IPRA turbo cars - the restrictor in the front of the turbo tends to lend its self to producing HP low in the rev range and that mean super high torque loads
ie 1 Hp @ 5252 revs = 1 ft lb torque / 1 HP @ 2626 revs = 2 ft lb torque so I'm guessing that your engine is putting out around 300 Hp @ around 4000 = around 394 ft lb and that will go higher at max torque
prob at about 2000-2500 that could be another 100 ft lb
as with most of the larger turbo engines under IPRA ,gearboxs suffer big time
iXNAY wrote:has anyone on here actually put a late set of pajero internals into a gearbox?
and what sort of filthy price are we talking?
I thought pajero and starion used the same gears
I could be wrong but its what I had been told

an adapted stronger gear box may be the way to go
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

RX7 box for sure, if thats a wideblock which it should be if its running starion boxes, then its an easy conversion
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Early pajero boxes are the same as starions but with narrower gears. Later pajero boxes use double syncros on 1st,2nd and 3rd and alot bigger bearings.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

redzone wrote:RX7 box for sure, if thats a wideblock which it should be if its running starion boxes, then its an easy conversion
ash made up conversion plate to run a wide pattern on the small pattern block - thats from memory so could be wrong
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

It's the engine from a VR4 Galant, so I believe it's not the wide block, and yes, it has a conversion plate to run the starion gearbox.

Does this make the RX7 gearbox idea a bigger hassle?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

shouldnt be a drama if u use the adaptor plate, hard to say without being there and seeing it obviously though. if u can find a dellow bellhousing or modify a 2lt sigma borgwarner detachable one u might be able to go the supra option instead, without the adaptor plate.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

redzone wrote: if u can find a dellow bellhousing or modify a 2lt sigma borgwarner detachable one u might be able to go the supra option instead, without the adaptor plate.
of cause if you use the small pattern you will need to change the flywheel and clutch presure plate to the smaller size
that could be a problem holding the torque

just as running a sigma or dellow use cable clutch ( these things can be got around ) but worth thinking about
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

true so the RX7 option would appear to be a winner then...