Another Soch VS Doch ?!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

quest wrote:Understand what you guys saying with the "numbers", but it only takes
a single 'curious' individual behind such an effort I feel.
I'd think turbo G54s are even less common than a staz, yet seen a few
10sec hairy beasts from down your way
It is a fact that the 4g54 turbo is only in import wideys and they are quite thin on the ground
in fact I think the only astron turbo was the 1981 2 Lt sigma that in there day were quite good however the suck though carb well sucks

being that all the turbo mitsubishi cars that were aus models after that ran the 4g62/63 motors it is they that get the attention

it is surprising that more performace minded people here havn't looked more at the old lump of cast iron more

and how would the starquest guys like to have wrecking yards with magna heads and efi multi point for under $75 each
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

redzone wrote: another factor involved other than what brendan stated in this situation is the fact that we only have around 20 million people living in australia, there are a LOT LESS people involved in building fast cars here than in the states, so obviously it takes longer to have a certain package developed to its potential..
To support what Dave said, and maybe I'm wrong, but most Starions being built these days are being used for some sort of motorsport. I see more of them at events than I do on the road, and I'm on the road all over Melbourne almost every day...so the numbers narrow down even further...

Contrast this to America. A friend of mine just came back from the States, and out of approx 30 days he was there, he competed in 21 events! That's right, there's something on every single day there...
So the motorsport scene is massively larger than ours will probably ever be...cars, parts, development & support, etc are all going to be in vastly greater proportions to Oz. That's how it goes when we got a dirty great desert in the middle of the land...
If there were large cities & towns spread throughout the centre of this large country it would probably be a very different situation.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Just gave the turbo g54 example to show demographics irrelevance.
You still have homegrown monsters of an even more obscure power mill.
cheaterparts wrote: it is surprising that more performace minded people here havn't looked more at the old lump of cast iron more
yeah, folks don't particularly gravitate towards the g54. They deem it as a step backward while the tide flows with dohc, rpms, technology.
G54 capable of stellar performance without either. Most are unaware, never bother taking the time to look or not fond of its power delivery. I cut teeth on the 2L sohc and took a while for the 54 to 'win me over'.
cheaterparts wrote:
and how would the starquest guys like to have wrecking yards with magna heads and efi multi point for under $75 each
sounds like paradise. Hope you've been shipping them over
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

quest wrote: yeah, folks don't particularly gravitate towards the g54. They deem it as a step backward while the tide flows with dohc, rpms, technology.
still an engine that is 30% larger with a head that flows about the same as the twin cam and has a safe rev range to 7000+( old technology that works for me )
quest wrote: G54 capable of stellar performance without either. Most are unaware, never bother taking the time to look or not fond of its power delivery. I cut teeth on the 2L sohc and took a while for the 54 to 'win me over'.
I first built a 4G52 - 2L for my car ( see avatar ) in 1999 and was surprised to get 112 Hp atw N/A before changing to a 2.6 that still runs N/A and is putting out 160 Hp atw at quite a low 6100 rpm ( will spin past 7000 easy ) this is with dcoe webers

a set of 50 mm quad T/Bs are going on right now and I have a larger cam and some bigger valves with some lighter engine bits and hope to get the Hp up to 175 + atw still N/A
cheaterparts wrote: wrecking yards with magna heads and efi multi point for under $75 each
quest wrote: sounds like paradise. Hope you've been shipping them over
I should do that I have been buying a bit of stuff from the states maybe I should ship back good after market g54 stuff

by the way the g54 will be coming out of the car in the next 12 - 18 months and looks like I'm going twin cam turbo it needs to be a 1760 so it will be destroked ( for the class I wish to run )
so there are a few parts to make for this engine before it will be ready
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car