TCO5 versus TDO6

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

best option

Post by WidebodyWoody »

So what would be the best option for me then. Would I go and get an EVOIII turbo and bolt it on or would I want to take my turbo to a professional turbo place and get it hi-flowed to a hybrid t3/t4? Oh, I am running the 2.6ltr remember.

Woody
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

wide body, what turbo do you have? And what are you wanting from the car? theres a zillion turbo combos and options, you need to know what you want from the motor.
Also if your turbo is a mitsu tc or td, then you cant just go to a shop and have it hiflowed into a T3/T4, these are garrett turbos. those T3/T4's that were earlier mentioned are a specially made combo, basically garret turbo's with housings made to suit mitsubishi exhaust manifolds.

What power do you want (realistically) from the motor?
Ford G6ET 458wkws
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

RE:

Post by SIRIUS »

how much HP is the tco5 an tco6 good for
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Standard TC-06.. about 300 flywheel horsepower. Standard TC-05 would be less than this.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

turbo

Post by WidebodyWoody »

A turbo company up here take the standard mitsi turbo housing, port it out to compensate for the garrett t3 and t4 compressor wheels and Bolt it back on. This is what I was talking about. I want to get a heap of power but don't want to change the starion from its originality much. So I would be looking for a t3/t4 combo or there abouts.

Woody
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

There is a TD06 with a 25G wheel rated at 500+ hp in NZ for sale, $1000ono, recent rebuild I beleive.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

RE:

Post by SIRIUS »

by just boltin up a bigger turbo...tdo5 or 6....do u see a good improvement in power...just that im looking at buying one..just seeing if its worth it...
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

TD06 performs best over 15psi
Just make sure the internals + fuel are capable, and that you have a good sized intercooler and wastegate.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

SpidersWeb wrote:TD06 performs best over 15psi
Just make sure the internals + fuel are capable, and that you have a good sized intercooler and wastegate.
It depends on which TD06 your talking about. There are many variations.
pcuser51
I like starions

Post by pcuser51 »

:) Whats the difference between TDo and TCo 6s :)
CHEERS ALAN
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Woody,
no need to guess at turbo performance. Lotsa proven combinations on starquestclub.com. If you're sticking with tbi, there are some nice setups that show big gains with the td06 turbine wheel coupled to either the big 16, 17c, 18g, 19c and 20g compressor. As suggested u gotta map out what u wanna get outta your motor. 2.6 torque is pretty deceiving. Lizz on us site just hacked a t3 flange onto his (ported) stock 2.6 exhaust manifold, and runs a t3/t4.... lotsa wheel spin and great spoolup. 12sec quarters.
2.6 oe manifold flows like 5hit too, poor design and *most* of em crack the same place. I'm definitely making a header for mine. I'm running internal wastegate too, as I've seen em on many 10sec daily driven cars. So I see no need to add the wt and complexity of an external.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I have a very large T04 on mine using a welded to4 flange on a ported exhaust manifold. It is abit laggy, but really kicks in at about 3500-4000 rpm. As has been said, it comes back down to what you want out of your engine and car. There are a few different TD series turbo combinations that will work well if you don't want to complicate things and just bolt on a better performing turbo.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T