Strong Gearbox

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

thrash wrote:nope.. i can't even heel toe all that well..

(for the record oldie.. it was a joke.. recounting vin deisel's stupid line from fast and the furious...)
All it takes is practice & more practice .
You young pups have been spoilt and you never had to drive a car with non syncro 1st gear
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I have to double clutch the Yellow JA. I don't normally do it whilst driving, but I do it all the time on the yellow JA, thats why the box has survived so far. So annoying to do though.
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

WANTSOM wrote:.. If you want to see it watch some in-car of V8Supercars. ...
This is better.. Walter Rohrl

redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

OLD FART wrote:
thrash wrote:nope.. i can't even heel toe all that well..

(for the record oldie.. it was a joke.. recounting vin deisel's stupid line from fast and the furious...)
All it takes is practice & more practice .
You young pups have been spoilt and you never had to drive a car with non syncro 1st gear
my chev has a non synchro first :D

also first car i ever drove was a 1910 Model T Ford (foot pedal operated epicyclic gearbox), not many guys my age can say that LOL

second car was my dads 1913 Wolseley (4 speed crash box, no synchro's). both were when i was 13, on the old airstrip in brisbane, at an old car club day...

my father prefers the double shuffle to the heel and toe, and it worked for him (1977 QLD touring car champion)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

The double shuffle is as Greg said to match engine & transmission speeds for smoothness (mechanical simpathy which appears to be something that most gearbox breakers have never heard of ) the heel & toe allows you to D/S & BLIP THE ACCELERATOR while brakeing at the same time
PS TRASH I wasn't offended it's just that my memory of the F&F isn't that good

PS you can still blip the accellerator changing down without doing the DS
Last edited by OLD FART on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

the double shuffle as dad was talking about i'm pretty sure is more to do with setting yourself up to left foot brake.. been a while since we talked about it i might have to refresh my memory.....

THREAD DERAILED LOL
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

double shifting is fine if you have time and not excessively breaking otherwise by the time you have shifted down you are through the corner and into the scenery
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

groupa - do u mean double shifting as in double declutching? If so you need to watch that youtube link flappa posted.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

groupAralliart wrote:double shifting is fine if you have time and not excessively breaking otherwise by the time you have shifted down you are through the corner and into the scenery
It just happens as I've been doing it 4 so long I do it at QR FROM 200 +INTO turn 3 ( a hairpin corner )
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

flappa wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:.. If you want to see it watch some in-car of V8Supercars. ...
This is better.. Walter Rohrl

G R 8 footage and he is also left foot brakeing as well to transfer weight to the front to help the car to turn
Can't believe the idiot spectators !!!
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Sorry to bring this thread back on-topic, but I have just finished a conversion from Starion gearbox to W58 Supra.

The car is Barney's old Scorpion race car, it runs over 300 rw HP and has bucket loads of torque, hence why it chewed through 2 Starion gearboxes (and believe me, I'm pretty gentle on gearboxes - no flat shifting, heel-toe downshifts, most of the braking done before shifting, etc).

Anyway, I bought a custom bellhousing from Dellow (if you want to know how to get them to admit they actually make them, PM me). I also bought the W58 from them, they totally rebuild them - everything new and then guarantee them for 6 months, no matter what you do with them (within reason I would imagine). They also supplied all the other associated parts like clutch fork, thrust bearing, etc etc.

I thought I was going to have to modify the tunnel to allow for the larger W58 box, but to my amazement, it slipped straight in and had clearance everywhere. I had to make up a custom rear gearbox mount, but that wasn't a lot of work.

I took it out on the track for the first time at Round 6 of the NSW championships, Eastern Creek. What a difference. The shift action is smooth, you can select a gear whenever you like (the starion box was reluctant at times). The ratios were slightly longer, which really suited the car and my over-all impression was very positive.

I set a PB too, which I imagine had a fair bit to do with the new gearbox.

So, for anyone considering the upgrade, I highly recommend it.

The hard part - total cost was $2100 and I did the install myself. That's everything included.

Lummy
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Very good feedback thanks. Its great to hear someones positive results. :beer
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

hey lummy can you please post up some pics of your cross member, maybe some instructions? I am still waiting on my parts from dellow
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
XJ Jeep Cherokee (5" lift, muddies, lockers etc)
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

turbosigma
[L] Plates

Post by turbosigma »

Will be doing this on a sigma soon. Have the bell and box.

Lummy - What did you use for clutch release - cable or hydraulic.

pix if you have any.

Edit: - and out of curiosity - why Allen head bolts.